44 • Freedom!!! •

Manyata was left red-faced

Manyata was left red-faced. She assumed that with that saree, her son will find the new bahu attractive. This will bridge the gap but it backfired and bad. The other ladies and gentlemen at the table spoke amongst themselves in hurried and hushed tone. Manyata watched them, not resting her gaze on anyone.

"Manyata, this is what we feared. You got your son married off consulting none of us." One of an elderly woman spoke, and a few nodded. Some looked worried, while some were enjoying the drama. And one such was Ruby, Manyata's rival. They both wanted Anahita's hand in marriage for their sons. Now, clearly, Ruby was the bitter one here.

"Exactly!" She raised her glass and smirked at Manyata, - "You and your son were in Madras but that doesn't mean you don't keep a tab on the girl, you wanted to make as your bahu." She tapped her finger on the rim of her glass.

Manyata scrunched her nose, making a sour face,- "What do you mean?"

"So much happened, Manyata and you have no clue."- Another woman interjected, - "This girl, Anahita, had an affair with a boy. Whole of Jaipur knows, she didn't even shy away from hiding. She was even staying at his place. Can you imagine that?"

"That too, a Muslim boy." One Uncle added.

Manyata frowned. Ruby let out a jolt of laughter and quickly covered her mouth.

"Excuse me." She passed a glance at her nemesis, a sneer on her face.

"She lived with him, without marriage, as lovers at his Haveli. Maybe even in the same room. I can't even say. I am sure he must have—"

Ruby pressed her lips and added in a low voice, enough to be heard though, - "So much for the virgin bride you promised your son. No wonder he is infuriated."

"That is why we were all surprised. Anamika was better than this girl. She is stained."

At that moment, Manyata wanted to disappear into oblivion. The piercing gaze, some sympathetic while most were mocking her. Leela and Prathuman cheated her. But what was the damage control here?

 But what was the damage control here?