47 • What's the rush; babies •

Anahita tapped her finger against the brass bird cage and cooed at the two parakeets

Anahita tapped her finger against the brass bird cage and cooed at the two parakeets. One blue and one green. She admired them and had a good time playing with them. Dhani got some bird seeds, which she passed on to her friend. Anahita cautiously opened the small door and stuffed the seeds inside. She watched with a wide smile as the birds rushed to feed. They chirped, they fought, and they ate.

"You love animals?"

"Yes, horses and you?"

"Birds, especially parrots. But I don't like them caged."

Anahita's smile faded upon recollecting her memories with Asif. As she stared sadly at the caged birds, Abhaiveer strolled onto the balcony. Dhani humbly bowed a little and ran out. He cleared his throat and Anahita's gaze traveled to him. Slowly, she moved her fingers off.

"I assume you liked my gift." He pointed at the parakeets. She nodded.

"Thanks. Apart from my studies, these keep me occupied."

"Great." Abhaiveer walked towards her and leaned against the parapet. He crossed his arms against his chest.

"Mother's elder sister, my Mausi, is coming so, she has asked you to—" He hesitated, but Anahita knew what he wanted to say. She pressed a brittle smile and responded.

"I will dress and behave like the perfect daughter-in-law they want me to be."

Anahita remembers clearly Abhaiveer's words, and she respects them as well.

"Your past is in the past, Anahita. As a friend, I will support and respect your feelings like you are doing to mine. But since now you are married to me. Your name has my name, my family's name, likewise, you are attached to our honor now. And I expect you to not let it get tarnished."

She noticed uneasiness in his eyes. He shook his head and sighed, turning to face the sky, - "Your tutor, Mr. Joshi, is coming in ten minutes. You have missed the classes, there is lots of catching up to do. Also, after class if you have any doubts, especially in mathematics."- He turned to look at her, - "I will gladly help you."