Chapter 9

The next morning Eric arrived to pick up Yeri like they planned and drove to the Rust Valley hospital. The man who attacked Wendy and Yeri, who called himself "53" was being treated there, while in police custody. After signing all the legal documents the officers took her to the room he was in to ID him. Yeri looked through the window to get a good look.

"So, that's him right?" The officer asked.

"I mean it probably is. The clothing looks similar but it was dark. His face is swollen from the wrench that hit it, but would it be possible to go inside and hear him speak? He looks conscious." Yeri asked him.

"Yea, you can speak to him. I'll be right out here if you need me," the officer opened the door for her. Yeri approached 53 slowly.

"Oh, come to rub it in my face eh?" 53 smirked.

"Looks like your face was already rubbed. With a wrench." Yeri scrunched her face sarcastically.

"What do you want an apology or something? You're wasting your time kid." 53 blew her off.

"Where's your buddy 76? You guys have any place you like to hide at?" Yeri asked him.

"Officer can you get this kid out of here please?" 53 called out for assistance.

"Listen up jerk, your buddy seventy something or whatever is out there while you're getting blamed for all this. Tell me where he is and maybe I don't recognize you." Yeri bargained.

"Why is he so important? What's it matter to you which one of us goes down?" 53 wasn't ready to sell out his friend.

"It doesn't I guess. Bye." Yeri turned to leave.

"Okay wait, you mean it? Because it was all 76s idea. He followed Billy, he told me he was in there no mistake. He called me and dragged me into it." 53 said trying to get pity points.

"Yes, hurry before they make me leave." Yeri said hastily.

"Alright, there's 2 possible safe houses if he ain't back at the base already. Both on the way to the downs. They look like ordinary water utility buildings off the main road. 1st ones about 5 miles out, the next one isn't a safe house but the one after that is. If he ain't there hes out of you're reach, back at hq." 53 explained.

"Thanks." Yeri said and leaving the room without any hesitation.

"Everything okay?" The officer asked her.

"Yeah it's him for sure. He was just trying to give me a sob story about his accomplice being the mastermind or whatever. So yea he basically confessed to being a part of it too." Yeri said proudly.

"Yea these henchmen aren't the brightest." The officer laughed. " well thank you for the confirmation. Enjoy the rest of your day ma'am."

Yeri met Eric back in the lobby and they went to his car.

"So did your plan work?" Eric asked as he turned the engine over.

"He told me there's 2 possible places he could be... but there's a good chance he's already hiding at the collectors place." Yeri said, remaining hopeful.

"Alright, then let's check them out. Can't hurt to try." Eric said pulling out of the parking lot.

After Yeri told him the directions, Eric set them on their course.

"So, how'd you come up with this plan. Like, you pieced things together that, you know.. a normal person wouldn't think of." Eric inquired.

"Come on I've heard Roadie, Kato and even Wendy talk about things before. Like I can get why you might be shocked but Wendy and Roadie always seem so ... amazed when I'm ..." Yeri paused.