Chapter 31: Heaven Questions Foundation Building

The first birthday celebration had been too rushed.

Song Qingshi was embarrassed. When he used to celebrate his birthday before, he used to hold a grand family party at home. Three-tier birthday cakes, chocolate desserts air transported from abroad and gifts piled up like a mountain. His older sister especially liked to give him tons of gifts every time; gifts ranging from computers and designer clothes to medical instruments. His mother held special concerts for him every year and his father liked to donate to charity in his name. His father had even donated a laboratory building to the school in his name as a birthday gift. The chef at home would make him longevity noodles, the housekeeper would give him dolls she had made herself and the servants would draw cute greeting cards for him, wishing him well. Even during the last year, when he'd been bed-ridden in the hospital, his birthday celebration was a hundred times better than Yue Wuhuan's was now.

No cakes, no food, no greeting cards, no expensive gifts...

Using the Quintessence of All Souls to remove the Acacia Seal was a matter they had already discussed early on. Xie Que's soul was ugly and disgusting. It wasn't worthy of being a gift. The wooden box was also originally Wuhuan's, he just added some gems in it. Mortal gems were not considered valuable in the immortal realm. They can only be regarded as children's toys.

Song Qingshi was feeling guiltier the more he thought about it so he hurriedly set off a few more fireworks into the sky, trying to create a more birthday party-like atmosphere. He then took out a big...shoutao from the mustard seed bag.

"They say this is what you eat for birthdays." Song Qingshi lowered his head in shame, his voice getting smaller and smaller. He went to pastry shops in several cities before he knew that there was nothing like cakes in the immortal realm and it was too late to order them. The owner of the pastry shop saw that he was a Nascent Soul cultivator and didn't dare to refuse his unreasonable request. He recommended this birthday shoutao, saying it was for birthdays and its symbolism was similar to that of cakes.

He also hadn't found any suitable birthday candles and so he simply lit a small red lotus on it using his alchemical fire. He then handed it to Yue Wuhuan, saying, "Make a wish and then blow out the flame on it. Then your wish will come true."

Yue Wuhuan has never heard of such a custom. He smiled and accepted the shoutao. "It can really come true?"

"It can." Song Qingshi replied firmly. This was because his parents taught him to make wishes since he was a child. He has made a wish every year that he could have a healthy body. The result was a bit different from what he originally imagined but he miraculously came to this world and got a new start to life. In any case, his wish has been fulfilled.

Seeing his insistence, Yue Wuhuan closed his eyes obediently. "I hope to also celebrate my birthday with Master next year."

"Wishes mustn't be said aloud. It must be said silently in your heart," Song Qingshi realized that he had forgotten to tell him this important rule and quickly stopped him. "You can make a new one."

If you don't need to say it aloud, that makes things a lot easier...

Yue Wuhuan smiled and silently made an impossible wish. He then gently blew out the red lotus on the birthday shoutao.

Song Qingshi quickly extinguished the flame the moment it flickered.

He wanted to help Yue Wuhuan realize all of his wishes...

"This year's birthday party is too simple," Song Qingshi promised earnestly, "Next year I'll make a grander one for you. I'll study how to bake a cake. I'll make a big birthday cake with white cream and write your name with jam. I'll also buy you more beautiful gems as gifts and set off real fireworks..."