Chapter Nine

A heavy yawn escaped Ryu's maw. She heard her bones crack from the prolonged stasis her nap had put them in while she stretched like a cat, coiling in on herself. Her eyelids were heavy with sleep, which she blinked away. She sometime wondered if Bruni was on to something with the way he would lick his pupils clean of debris.

Her slow travels around the woods had brought her to a field where wild flowers claimed almost every inch of ground.

This land was a joy to reside in. The air was cool and crisp from the winds that blew in down from the snow covered mountains. It bristled Ryu's mane which she shook out.

Some animals fled after sniffing curiously in her direction fleeing when they sensed the predatory aura she held. But it wasn't the rabbits or elk that were her query but instead the fish splashing and traveling along the clear shimmering stream.

Swimming had become exceptionally easy since her leg had been tended to by her spirit friend. Elsa. The spirit had shown her so many wonders while also being a wonder herself.

Elsa had displayed a kindness Ryu didn't know was possible in humans. She treated her as an equal with respect and a kind of reverence she had never experienced before with the species. Her touch always tender and asking instead of harsh and presuming. Her extremely cool fingers were a pleasant contrast to the Ryu's heated body.

She was a mystery, that was certain, one that promised a pleasant end result once solved.

Ryu had been sniffing curiously at a bush while Elsa had been seated delicately balancing upon a rock writing something down in her notebook.

A cricket jumped out of the bush, as if confessing it was the cause of noise, upon the dragon's nose who leapt back winging in terror.

Elsa flinched, dropping her notebook placing a hand upon her chest at the sudden intrusion to their symbiotic silence they had been sharing for the past hour.

Ryu leaped away from the cricket hiding behind Elsa looking worriedly over her shoulder.

When seeing what had caused the response Elsa looked to the cricket then back at the dragon before hiding her giggles behind her hand.

The humour of the situation had claimed her eventually, she snorted in laughter lightly exclaiming at the noise that came from her throat.

Ryu began her own chortles at the sound nudging Elsa's elbow with her snout.

Elsa eventually abandoned her mock offense and began chuckling once more. They both were fools for different reasons.

Her smile and giggle when Ryu did something silly always lightened the dragon's mood.

Even her sister, Anna was it? Had a bold sanguineous manner about her. Her sweet bubbly demeanor was appreciated. Perhaps abenignity attracted abenignity, there was the ever present fear of pain that still gnawed at the dragon's heart.

She hated flinching away from gentle touch, it somehow felt as if the opportunity was being taken advantage of to the showed affection.

Elsa too had a dark pain seeded in her eyes which were warm like her heart others probably presumed to be cold as the ice which she reigned over.

The idea of such a woman being hurt was distressing to say the least. All she had done was care for others reflecting their emotions in comradery that very few had the ability to show.

She had seen the spirit watch over the forest and its inhabitants as a mother in a way. Taking in everyone's perspectives equally no matter how minuscule they may have seemed.