Chapter Ten

"What?" Elsa harshly whispered turning to Nokk, she knew that face. Her friend still possessed strong reservations towards Ryu.

Elsa gave her an affiliative smile, waving her hand in a small motion at her friend who was standing in the shallow banks of the lake behind her cottage. Ryu raised her brow, ears titling forward curiously.

"You could join us in the water you know, water spirit." Elsa challenged. Nokk grunted becoming more agitated. "If you just give her a chance I'm sure you'd like her. Just imagine she's a giant Bruni." Probably not the right thing to say since she received no response whatsoever.

"Well alright," Elsa turned away, putting on the performance of dropping the subject. "If you're afraid of her then I guess-"

Her ponytail whipped around her neck as Nokk raced past her and into the water. Shaking her head with a weak laugh she wadded into the lake the horse a few feet away sank into.

Once at her side Elsa placed her hand upon Ryu's strong neck, fingers scratching lightly at the surprisingly soft and pliable scales.

Elsa examined them using her thumb and index finger to displace the skin. Huh, she could have sworn she had seen the dragon's armor deflect a arrow before, and Grand Pabbie had informed her that the scales of a dragon were incredibly difficult to pierce.

Ryu looked at her curiously when a low rumble began vibrating what seemed like her whole frame. It reminded Elsa of a cat, in a way. "Do you like that?" She asked continuing the message.

A light gurgle and muzzle now being pressed into her abdomen said yes. She took a few steps back from the pressure, recovering easily.

Her other hand stretched itself into the dragon's mane, Ryu raised her gaze to Elsa's hissing white smoke into her face.

Elsa retreated inhaling intermittently thrice before releasing a squeaky sneeze. She sniffled hoping she wasn't allergic to the smoke Ryu kept blowing into her face.

Then she pounced splashing into the water thoroughly soaking Elsa. Her fingers flew up to her face heavily rubbing away the droplets of water. Shrugging she dove beneath the surface.

Ryu proved to be quite the strong swimmer, not able to keep up with Nokk in the slightest but she was definitely faster than Elsa both above and below the water.

Her swimming patterns made Elsa think of the otter family she had seen a couple times occupy the lake whenever they had offspring to nurse. Just as playful, the resemblance became uncanny when the dragon relaxed upon her back floating along the light waves Elsa and Nokk had created.

Elsa berated herself to the dumb idea that kept pestering her mind. She had been tempted to swim up to Ryu and hold her paw receiving an odd look but she didn't pull away.

Elsa had gone thirty minutes over her scheduled time of when she was supposed to depart the lake and meet Yelana, and Honeymaren.

She ignored Ryu's calls to come back in  entering her home in a rush. Elsa was grateful that no matter how light she packed she never had to worry about a lack of wardrobe.

Tying the white sash around the waste of her blue traveling jacket, Elsa waved over Ryu signaling for her to join her at the front of her cottage.

"Oh." Elsa piped somewhat shocked at seeing Ryu lounging in her front garden.

She was curious about the the two bags Elsa had set on her porch deciding that they required immediate investigation, performed by a prodding nose.

"Ahem," The spirit knew she was being heard despite the lack of eye communication, Ryu's ears where turned to where she stood. "Arendelle this week is having a very, very, important diplomatic summit that I must attend." Anna had been writing her almost every night stressing the details of the event, also stressing the unnecessary detail that Ryu would not be able to be invited, as it would be the fondant on top of the fear cake other countries had been baking in their rumor Mills and tall tales.