Chapter Seventeen

Gerda appearing with Ryu in tow was the only thing that finally drew Elsa's eyes up from her notes that she was furiously writing, the scribble was drowned out by the conversation of the investigative team trying their hardest to gain some ground.

Her clothes were rumpled and black dust subtly coated the bridge of her nose, the clear signs of a rushed and clumsy clean up attempt. Her shoulders remained pulled back standing with that familiar discipline in the presence of authority. Elsa still couldn't decipher if it was an instinctual habit of dragons or something trained into her; she had not asked deterred by the girl whenever she tried to take a small shuffle into the conversation of her past receiving the reply of 'later'. She now was developing a distain for the word. It was evident Ryu was still was insecure with both the environment and the people she shared it with.

Elsa squinted at her state while the others nodded in greeting, it would have been difficult to notice at a glance and when Elsa's inspection was descried Ryu turned her head away to the right.

The light filtered in through the large window to the left of the table, giving the wood the illusion as if it had just been polished, the only one not seated was Ryu, she stepped aside as a maid poured her a glass of water to which she nodded to in thanks.

The chatter momentarily stopped when the dragon stood next to the empty chair, and when her gaze found Elsa's they shared a small smile but kept quiet when Mattias spoke up.

"As I was saying your Majesty, the linguist have few ideas in regards to country origins of Julien but he has neither confirmed nor denied them and refuses to speak in his native tongue."

Anna did not look pleased. Elsa was tempted to go over and comfort her to ease the tension which coiled tightly in her shoulders. What kept her rooted in place was Kristoff taking the role of being her sister's pillar of support, soothing her with whispered words of encouragement keeping the table occupant's spirits up in his usual cool practicality.

Elsa watched as he took temporary control of the room. He definitely was a different man than he used to be; more confident which was only aided by his decisively calm demeanour. It was easy for people to listen to him, to trust him, and take comfort in his blunt and direct but kind words.

"Finding out his country of origin will be helpful yes, but the magic he possessed is also alarming and should be investigated as well. Elsa?"

She looked up from her writing at first with her eyes then head. Placing the pencil down gently she folded her hands politely upon the table.

"Yes?"

"How are the other spirits doing since the incident? Any weird-" he moved his scrunched up hands from side to side. "-symptoms effects?"

"Besides lethargy and a decrease in Bruni's appetite- no- though Nokk is acting odd it could be a physical or mental side effect of which I'm not sure of quite yet."

Satisfied, Anna nodded removing her index finger and thumb from cupping her mouth and chin when she sighed heavily.

"Well it seems the best course of action is finding his country of origin and as Kristoff said how he came upon such a weapon as a sword-"

A small groan was barely heard coming from the dragon who shook her head.

Elsa looked to her disquieted, before she had the opportunity to open her mouth Anna spoke up staring directly at Ryu.

"Is there a problem Periwinkle?"

"Yes, that's a very stupid plan." Anna's eyebrows rose to her hairline at the statement.