Chapter 27

The next few days after the incident with Xander, pass by quickly.

Xavier stuck to his word the morning after, and hired a cleaning crew to come see to the lounge. He decided to let me decorate it and I'd been pleased, and a little honoured that he'd trusted me.

Mel had come home, smiling from ear to ear after her girls night out, and confided to me that she'd met someone she really liked, and that he'd asked her out on a date Saturday night.

I was so pleased that Mel was going out more, and hoped this man, 'Bradley' was the one for her.

Xavier wasn't as happy as I was, and went into 'overprotective brother mode' driving me, and Mel mad with his ranting.

It was now Friday morning, I'd come into to the office early with Xavier, and had Angelo with me.

Xavier had been unhappy with work the last few days, but wouldn't tell me why. I'd left it alone, figuring he'd tell me when he was ready to.

Last night before we'd gone to sleep, he'd asked me to come into the office early with him, to meet with a potential client.

I'd agreed curiously and now here I was, sat in Xavier's board room, with Angelo asleep on my knee, waitng for them to arrive.

Xavier stood pacing by the huge windows, and I kept checking the clock on the wall every few minutes, getting annoyed.

The people we were meeting, were late by nearly ten minutes, and I was ready to leave.

Xavier noticed my agitation and came to sit beside me.

He smiles down at Angelo's sleeping form, and he kisses me gently on the forehead, just as we hear a knock and the door opens, revealing the last person I expected to see.

John Steele, and his arsehôle of a son, Alexander entered the room, followed by a tall, leggy blonde, I instantly disliked.

Xavier stood and shook John's hand, ignoring Alexander, making me smile slightly.

They all took a seat, and I shifted angrily, pîssed that Xavier hadn't warned me about this first.

John is staring at me shocked, as if he wasn't expecting me to be here, and he probably wasn't. Alexander kept staring at Angelo in disgust making my hackles rise, and leaving me feeling ready to kîll. The blonde was staring at Xavier, watching his every move, and I felt jealousy rear it's ugly head.

"Good morning John, it's good to see you up and about again. Now I want to know your reasons for asking for this meeting, I have nothing to say to you or your son." Xavier replied, spitting 'son' angrily.

John looks shocked for a minute, before staring at his son thoughtfully.

"I actually wanted to ask your permission to see Arianna." He replies, and turns to me.

"Arianna, dear? I'd like to offer you your job back, you see Alexander here, isn't capable at doing his job properly, and now I'm well enough again, thanks to you. I've taken back control." John tells me. "My other son Jacob, has been away training at Harvard, and I've decided to leave him the company when the time comes, not Alexander. Now what do you say dear? Would you like to come back?" John asks me gently.

I stare at him stunned, not knowing what to say.

Xavier grabs my hand, squeezing it in support, and I smile at him.

"I can't John. I'm happy here now, plus I get to bring Angelo to work with me here. I can't come back, I'm sorry." I reply regretfully.

He nods, and looks saddened by what I've said.