Chapter 36

It takes the police two weeks to finally contact us. They don't say much, just that they'd like me to come down to the station as soon as possible to meet with Detective Warren.

Xavier isn't at work today so he's by my side as we go down there. Mel is watching Angelo for us.

Entering the police station again I feel nervous, and a little scared at what they've found out. It couldn't be that bad, right?

We are led to an empty room and we sit at the table where I fidget nervously.

Xavier grabs my hand and steady's it between his large ones. "Hey cara? Are you okay?" He asks me gently.

I shake my head and continue tapping my foot. "No, I'm scared Xavier. What I've heard already from the police scares me, I'm not sure I want to hear the rest of it, but I don't really have a choice." I tell him honestly. "I wish they'd hurry up, I'm hungry."

Another five minutes pass before Detective Warren comes in, and he smiles kindly at us.

"Mr and Mrs Grayson, hello again. I'm Detective Warren, the officer assigned to your case." He explained for the benefit of the tape recording us. "Now I've asked you here because more evidence has come to my attention. Does the name Alexa Andrews ring any bells?"

I nod numbly. "Yes. She used to be my best friend until she turned on me, determined to split me and Xavier up." I tell him angry. "She tried everything to get us apart."

The detective nods and opens a file from the pile he'd brought in with him.

"It seems that your brother, Marcus was hired by her to get rid of you. It wasn't a kidnapping like we first assumed, that was a cover up. He was hired to kîll you Mrs Grayson." The Detective tells me bluntly.

I'm sure my face must have shown exactly how I was feeling because he looked slightly alarmed. I'd never before felt so much white hot rage at anyone before.

"You have the proof then? Is Jade Wright involved in anyway too?" I ask angrily.

The Detective looks shocked, before nodding. "Yes, she helped Alexa get the cash to pay Marcus. I'm not sure what they hoped to achieve by kîlling you Mrs Grayson, but we will find out. All three are in police custody now, and we're trying to keep this from the media for as long as possible. I just want to make this perfectly clear, you want to press full charges against your brother, and the others? Right?" He asks me stupidly.

I look at him as if he's sprouted another head. "Damn straight I do. I want everything thrown at them. How dare my own flesh and blood attempt to do this? It sickens me to the core. I hate the bâstard so much right now." I explain barely containing my rage. "I don't care about the media harassing us Detective, they do anyway, but I'm worried about Claire and Daniel. Claire's heavily pregnant, she doesn't need the stress this will cause."

Turning to Xavier he tightens his grip on my hand, squeezing slightly. "We need to bring them here before Claire can't fly anymore, they need to be with family, and I want them here and safe." I tell Xavier sadly. "Would you mind them staying with us?"

He shakes his head and kisses me softly. "Anything for you, mio amore." He responds gently.

Looking closely at Xavier I can see his anger simmering just under the surface, and know it won't take much more for him to lose his shît. It doesn't scare me though, I know he'd never hurt me.

"We have your brother's statement here Mrs Grayson, it seems his motive waw because he was the assumed benefcator in your will. He also harbours a surprising amount of hate towards you but won't elaborate why. Miss Wright and Miss Andrews have a different motive but we haven't figured that out yet, they are both refusing to talk." Detective Warren tells us.