Chapter 11

The morning came once more. The same day repeated as it always does. Although this time Azula came to evaluate my progress. She was pleased with how fast I learned to handle myself against Kaito solely relying on my physical abilities alone. I sighed, knowing I still somehow achieved something everyday. I was stronger then I was before. My eyes opened after what happened last night, I no longer was as afraid as I was. 

Kaito seemed different too, at least to me. I felt like she really took in what we spoke about. As if we finally understood who we were, and our place in the world. However, the real obstacle was Azula. Azula still believed I was on her side, and for once I wasn't angry that she thought I was. 

"The day to prove your worth is upon us," Azula said,"You will be the only bender able to bend on the day of black sun," Azula smiled.

She then left with Kaito for a war meeting, leaving me alone.  

The day of  black sun. 

I smiled to myself, walking away to my room for my meal. This time it was a half picked at fish and rice that was almost raw but I still ate it. At least what I could scavenge out of it, without gagging on anything. I then left to get close to the throne room. 

I need to talk to Zuko.

Soldiers stopped me from getting any closer to the door so I stayed waiting for Zuko. About an hour passed as I patiently waited. Soliders whispered about how I was treated like a mistress of the royal palace, how the prince and princess favored me, even though I was treated like some object the entire time. I internally scoffed as I kept my head up waiting for Zuko. 

I'm not weak against these people, and I will never consider myself weak against them again. I'm stronger then even I know. 

Soon enough the war meeting was over. I slowly approached Zuko who quickly walked towards me once he saw me. He was surprised to see me but smiled a bit once he got closer. I looked behind him, Kaito watched us. We both gave a small nod before going our separate ways.

"How was the war meeting?" I asked walking alongside Zuko.

"When I got there, everyone welcomed me. My father had saved me a seat. He wanted me to be next to him. I was literally at his right hand,"

"Is it everything you wanted?" I asked, looking at a portrait of Fire Lord Ozai at the end of the hall. No one was around, it was just us.

"During the meeting I was the perfect prince the son my father wanted,"He replied,"But I wasn't me,"

I nodded before hearing footsteps pass by. Palace staff walked our way, glaring at me. Let them believe what they want, I've stopped caring. I leaned closely to Zuko as the court ladies scoffed at me. 

"Can we talk somewhere more private," I whispered and he nodded.

I followed Zuko who quickly walked to his room. I went to the open window, taking in the moonlight before shutting them.

"Zuko-" 

"I'm leaving tomorrow," Zuko said, interrupting me,"And so are you,"

"Tomorrow is the solar eclipse," He said awkwardly trying to put words together,"There's going to be an invasion. Azula and my father have planned everything out for a counter attack. Azula wants you at the forefront to distract the Avatar with her,"

"He's alive?" I asked softly realizing that Aang didn't die.

"I know he is," Zuko said staring into my eyes,"Will you join me? Or have you really decided to side with my sister?"

I shook my head, "Azula is probably going to make me confront Aang. That's when I'll escape,"

I'm not guilty for what I'm going to do to Azula. It was her mistake to trust me, to think I could fear her enough to side with her.  To try and manipulate me, and everyone else around her, she didn't succeed this time. Although, deep deep down, I still felt sorry for her.

"You didn't really mean all that you said on the beach right?" Zuko asked softly.

I didn't want him to bring it up, but I knew he was going to eventually. 

I sighed,"Of course I didn't,"

"You just sounded so,, honest," Zuko responded looking away from me.

"I had to convince myself it was real," I said clenching my hands,"It was the only way for Azula to believe me,"

"Has Azula really grown on you Kya?" Zuko asked a bit harshly.

"No," I sighed, knowing it was half a lie,"She hasn't,"

"What about Kaito?" He sighed.

"Don't involve her in this conversation," I said coldly,"She's helped me survive this horrible place, who knows, she might even help you get out of here too," 

I got up to leave before Zuko grabbed my hand,"I promise to be better," He paused,"I lost myself thinking what I did was right. But it wasn't,"

Zuko pulled me in. His warm hand hold mine. The look in his eyes regretting and wishing this tension between us wasn't real. I wanted him I really did but I pulled away.

"Don't," I said letting go of his hand.

"Kya," 

"Zuko, I'm not some trophy you held in the palace from your adventures in exile," I coldly looked at him,"Do you have any idea what everyone says about me here? How they treat me? And I have to sit with it and act like it doesn't bother me. I loved you, but you stabbed me in the back," Zuko watched me sadly as his eyes watered,"Don't try and follow me tomorrow, you go your way and I'll go mine,"

"Why?" He asked in a low voice.

"Because I just might forgive you sooner than I should,"

I left Zuko's room and slowly made it back to mine. I felt like I was losing my mind for a second, I wanted him so much. I missed him, but I couldn't let my emotions get the better of me. As much as I wanted Zuko, I still needed time. I slumped down on the floor, leaning against my bed and cried to myself in silence.

My face buried in my hands, as the door slowly opened. Kaito was here, with a pot of tea, and a smile. I wiped my tears as she came over and sat infront of me. 

"Would you like some tea?" Kaito asked.

I nodded softly as she served me a cup. 

"Forgive him eventually Kya," Kaito said drinking her tea,"He's trying his best. We all are," 

I took a small sip of mine before looking up to her. 

"Are you ready?" I asked. 

"Ready as I'll ever be," Kaito joked.