Chapter 16

"I can't believe I'm saying this but thanks, Zuko," Aang says,"You too Kaito,"

Kaito smiled with a nod.

"Hey, what about me?" Sokka sulked,"I did the boomerang thing,"

"Listen, I know I didn't explain myself very well yesterday. I've been through a lot in the past few years and it's been hard but I'm realizing that I had to go through all those things to learn the truth. I thought I had lost my honor and that somehow my father could return it to me, but I know now that no one can give you your honor. It's something you earn for yourself by choosing to do what's right. All I want now is to play my part in ending this war and I know my destiny is to help restore balance to the world," Zuko then bowed at Toph,"I'm sorry for what I did to you. It was an accident. Fire can be dangerous and wild so as a fire bender I need to be more careful and control my bending so I don't hurt people unintentionally,"

"I'm also sorry," Kaito bowed,"I shouldn't have attacked you back in Ba Sing Se. I thought I had a duty to my nation, to the royal family. But meeting Kya made me realize the only way I can help my nation is by stopping this war. Only then can I find peace, for myself and my past,"

I watched Aang change his way of thinking. I sighed in relief but also in anxiety about having to confront Zuko myself again. Nonetheless, I was still happy I got to see them again.

"I think you both are supposed to be my fire bending teachers. When I first tried to learn fire bending, I burned Katara, and after that I never wanted to fire bend again. But now I know you two understand how easy it is to hurt the people you love," Aang said bowing to Zuko and Kaito,"I'd like you both to teach me,"

Zuko and Kaito bowed with a smile.

"Thank you," Zuko added,"I'm so happy you've accepted me into your group,"

"Not so fast, I still have to ask my friends if it's okay with them," Aang turn around to Toph," Toph, you're the one that Zuko burned, what do you think?"

"Go ahead and let him join. It'll give me plenty of time to get back at him for burning my feet," Toph smirked while punching her palm. I snickered on the inside a bit.

"Sokka?" Aang asked, looking up at him.

"Hey, all I want is to defeat the Fire Lord. If you think this is the way to do it then I'm all for it,"

"Katara?"

"I'll go along with whatever you think is right," She said after glaring intensely at Zuko.

"What about you Kya?" Aang asked.

"I agree with you Aang," I replied in a nod before looking to Zuko and Kaito,"I learned to believe in second chances,"

"I won't let you down! I promise," Zuko smiled.

"We'll work hard to make it up to you guys," Kaito said with an excited expression.

Kaito and I hugged once more, I really was grateful to her. We understood each other, I wouldn't have survived the torment without losing myself if it wasn't for her. I saw myself in her so much that I couldn't think about siding with Azula anymore.

Everyone else walked away for the time being. 

>>>

Katara insisted that she'd show Kaito her room so they both left, knowing Katara she was going to give Kaito an earful. I shook my head as I trailed behind Sokka, who showed Zuko his room which was very far from the rest of ours.

"Ok, this is really really weird," Sokka said to me before he walked away.

"Agreed," I replied.

Once Sokka was gone I stood against the doorway. I watched Zuko as he looked at a portrait of Iroh with a smile. I sighed.

"Kya," Zuko said, noticing me and letting me walk in.

"What made you change?" I asked,"Permanently this time,"

He looked down knowing I was still upset despite the fact I wasn't showing it.

"I realized I was just trying to please my father, I wasn't looking for honor. I was looking for approval from the man who never cared,"

I looked down knowing it was true, I could understand why he thought that way but it didn't mean it hurt any less then it did. Silence filled the room as my emotions fought with one another.

"Change is inevitable," I spoke up,"Whether good or bad we can't stop what the future brings. I still have hope that destiny will continue lead us to where we belong,"

"I came to also beg for your forgiveness," Zuko said awkwardly while tears filled his eyes,"Uncle too, I'll be better from now on. I promise,"

"I can't forgive you, at least not yet. Prove yourself to everyone here," I said as we made eye contact. My heart burned. I wanted to hug him but I couldn't, not yet.

"I'm sorry for loving you," Zuko said in pain.

I turned around, my back facing him.

"I still love you," I said as I left the room,"I always have, and I won't apologize for it,"

"Kya," I heard Zuko say as he choked trying to get something else out, I heard a slump, he's probably crying right now.

I tightly closed my eyes as I kept walking. I made it to the fountain a little while after my heart calmed down. I hummed to myself as a pebble hit my shoulder. I turned around to see Haru who smiled at me, I returned the favor.

"So Maiden of the Sea, wanna show me what you got,"

I sighed looking out off the cliff, "You heard,"

"Who hasn't," He said in a chuckle,"The entire world heard,"

"Maiden of the Sea," I said wondering who made that kind of name up.

"It's a cool title," Haru said, holding a stance,"But can you live up to it?"

"You're going to regret saying that," I joked as we began sparring.

I really have grown as a fighter, I wasn't the warrior I dreamed of as a kid. It made me feel like all the pain was really worth it. I felt like I kept my promise to my mom.

>>>

That night I went to visit Kaito in her room.

"Knock knock," I said with a pot of tea in hand.

"Hey," Kaito said standing up.

I shook my head and motioned her to sit down again. I placed the tea pot on the floor and served two cups.

"I'm sorry about today," I said softly drinking some of the tea.

"Don't worry about it," Kaito said with a small laugh,"I honestly expected a lot worse,"

"Worse then my sister threatening you?" I asked as she let out a small laugh.

We sat in a comfortable silence, finishing out first cup of tea.

"Do you regret it?" I asked as Kaito looked to me confused.

She thought for a moment before shaking her head,"I don't. Growing up we were taught that the war was us sharing out greatness to the world. But it isn't, the entire world suffered for a hundred years and our people thinks it's normal. This isn't greatness its chaos,"

"That's not what I meant," I said pouring her more tea,"You turned your back on people you've known your entire life. You don't regret it?"

Maybe what I was saying was for her, or maybe it was for myself, for turning my back on my family for Zuko, for turning my back on Ty Lee and Mai who were only with Azula out of fear, or turning my back on myself believing I wasn't strong enough.

"I don't," Kaito repeated,"Everything happens for a reason, right? I decided to be your friend for a reason, I helped Zuko for a reason, and I'm learning what I'm supposed to do and who I am now for a reason,"

Silence filled the room as we both took a sip of tea and sighed.

"I still miss Mai and Ty Lee. Your right, their my friends even if I didn't know it. We still grew up together," Kaito looked up to the ceiling humming,"Even so, I wanted to finally do the right thing, for myself,"