Chapter 18

After that Sokka and I raced to the fountain once we heard Zuko, Kaito, and Aang arrived by the afternoon. Sokka pushed me out of the way, giggling in happiness when he made it first. I simply rolled my eyes, walking the rest of the way.

We all sat down to watch their demonstration of what they learned.

"With this technique the dragons showed us Zuko and I will be unstoppable," Aang said, as they finished and we all clapped.

"Yeah that's a great dance you two learned there," Sokka said

"It's not a dance, it's a fire bending form," Zuko responded.

"What about you Kaito?" I asked,"Why didn't you dance?"

"I did, but it wasn't this one," Kaito said, she then demonstrated a solo dance, sharply cutting through the air with a flip and ending in a singular thin stream of white fire."

"Woah," I said leaning back,"White flames?"

"Cool right," She snickered,"Apparently those with a clear mind receive enlightenment in what fire bending really is,"

"Great, we'll just tap dance our way to victory over the Fire Lord," Sokka added.

"Quit it," I said playfully giving him a flick on his shoulder.

"It's a sacred form that happens to be over a thousand years old!" Zuko yelled.

"Oh yeah? What's your little form called?" Katara teased.

"The Dancing Dragon," Zuko said, slumping down as we all laughed, his eyebrow twitched.

I cleared my throat once Zuko landed his eyes on me,"Nice performance," I said.

"Thank you," Zuko said giving a small smile.

Later after dinner we all sat around the fire. Zuko made tea for all of us now that everyone was warming up to him a bit. It felt nice that tensions weren't as high before.

"No one can make tea like uncle, but hopefully I learned a thing or two, would you like to hear uncle's favorite tea joke?" He said pouring tea for all of us.

"Sure,"

"I like jokes,"

"Bring it,"

"Oh no,"

"Okay well, I can't remember how it starts but the punchline is leaf me alone I'm bushed," Zuko said with a small smile.

Everyone looked at him in silence after, embarrassed from the awkwardness. I sighed. 

"A tea shop owner goes into the forest to collect all tea leaves when the merchants come to see why, the tea shop owner says,"

"Leaf me alone, I'm bushed," Zuko said after I signaled at him to repeat.

"Oh now it's not that bad," Kaito said trying to lighten the mood.

"I get it,"

Zuko handed me a tea cup, grateful that I saved him from the awkwardness. Our fingers touched slightly, sending flutters to my stomach. I took big sip of tea burning myself. I coughed a bit but the burning feeling passed quickly.

"It's nice to get a chance to relax a little. It hardly ever happens," Toph says

I noticed Sokka bring Zuko away from the group. After Sokka came back I went to Zuko. He looked surprised to see me as I pushed him back to where no one could see. His heart sped up suddenly from my touch, but I ignored it.

"What did Sokka talk to you about?" I asked, Zuko kept quiet and avoided eye contact.

"What did he tell you, Zuko?" I asked coldly making Zuko nervous.