5. Friends Don't Lie

Rink-o-mania was a bright place covered with disco lights and filled with loud music. It wasn't exactly a place for nerds like you, Will or 'El.' It was more of a place for popular people.

You would've rathered doing LazerTag or something, at least that'd be more fitting. But it was Jane's choice and you respected that.

Still, you felt awkward as you waited outside for Argyle's van to pull up to the rink. But it was alright since you were quite glad to have been invited in the first place.

"Y/n!"

You heard Will's voice and spun your head around to see the lot of them walking towards you from the other side of the car park.

A smile lit up your face as you strode over to them, waving as they did so.

Mike didn't look like you expected. The poor guy was geared up in full vacation gear, flip flops and everything.

"Will! El!" You shouted as you walked.

Jane looked the most happy you'd ever seen her. She practically clung onto Mike's arm like it was her life support.

Will clearly wasn't impressed by all this lovey-duvey stuff and hung back with Jonathan and Argyle, looking like a third wheel.

You knew Argyle and Jonathan from the time you'd spent at Will's house before. You and Will usually painted together or played Nintendo when you went round but occasionally you'd speak to the boys.

"Brochacho! Sis-chacho?" Argyle shouted. You couldn't tell if he was stoned or not.

"Hey." You smile politely at Mike, almost apologising for Argyle's stupidity.

"Y/n right?" Mike grinned back, "I've heard lots about you actually."

"Really?" You raised your brows, "Lots?"

"It's nothing bad, don't worry." Jane giggled as she tightened her grip on Mike's hand.

"Yeah, the worst thing I've heard about you is probably what you did on New Years Eve when y-" Mike began but you cut him off.

"Let's not talk about that." You joked, leading the others into the rink.

"Oh this is cool." Mike said as he took in his surroundings, "There's not one of these in Hawkins."

"Oh we go here all the time." Jane said. That was a lie.

"You're life seems more interesting than mine then." Mike laughed, staring into El's eyes.

"I'd swap back to Hawkins any day."

It suddenly went quiet after he spoke. You turned to see that Johnathan and Argyle had already snook off and El and Mike were both being luvey-duvy again.

"You been third wheeling all day then?" You look at him apologetically.

"Pretty much." Will sighed.

The music blared around you as you stood with Will whilst the other two went and got your roller boots.

You felt bad for Will. He'd been waiting all year for Mike to come over but the moment that he had, he didn't even want to spend time with him.

"You'll get to talk to him later." You rest your arm on Will's shoulder, "You're sharing a room aren't you?"

Will gave you a weak smile before returning to the others.

"Got your skates." Jane lifts you a pair and you thank her.

She turned to Mike and told him that you all go to parties here all the time and that you had quite a busy life.

That was obviously a lie.

You shot Will a look and he just shrugged.

"I don't know what she's doing, don't ask me."

"Isn't she all about 'friends don't lie' or something."

You sat yourself down on the bench and tied your laces with Will beside you. He grimaced before saying..

"I guess girlfriends do."