40. Certified Genius

Suzie rounded up the bunch, gave them instructions, then set about with the plan.

Your only job was to sneak into the study with the others. You'd just have to make sure Suzie didn't stumble on anything... upside down related.

In a weird way, you sort of felt honoured that you knew and she didn't. It was like, she was a girlfriend and you were just a friend so you must've been really special to be told. Well, I mean, it was a mistake you being told, but you still appreciated it.

A government secret, entrusted by a couple of teenagers, it was a strange ordeal.

Anyways, as the plan unfolded, you followed Will, Johnathan and Mike into the study. In these past few days, you had to admit you'd grown to like Mike more. And in fairness, you were beginning to accept that Will had plenty of reason to like him...

"Y/n... what's up?" Mike creased his eyebrows, looking at you warily, "Why are you staring?"

Suzie, Johnathan and Will all looked towards you, freezing in their tracks, almost expecting something to be wrong.

You shook yourself out of it. "Nothing. Nothing. Let's get on with this."

The others stepped closer to the computer, Suzie taking the seat and logging on, but Mike... Mike was another story, his attention was most definitely on you. So much so that it felt like his brown eyes piercing through your skin. You gulped, feeling a little uncomfortable.

"Hang on.." You said, trying to change the subject, "Where's Argyle?"

"Shit. I don't know." Jonathan cursed, looking to the door expectantly then giving up. You all knew that there would be no point looking now.

Then for a moment, there was quiet. The sound of the keyboard clacking was the only noise you could hear and it was almost nauseating. You stared at the computer screen as intently as the others until Suzie began to speak again.

"And... we're in."

Mike looked stunned. "Holy sh- Holy heck, you did it."

You were also shocked how quickly it took to break into a government military system with a basic computer in someone's dads study.

"Hold your applause." Suzie replied, continuing to type feverishly on the keyboard, "I don't see an address."

Johnathan pointed at the screen and asked her to move the mouse around a little but all there was, was just lines and lines of code.

You watched as the colour fell from Johnathan's face.

"Oh sh- Oh heck, what are we going to do?" Mike remarked, again, remembering not to swear.

"Hold onto your butts," Suzie replied, acting as if nothing was wrong, "I'll just trace the IP."

You were extremely grateful for Suzie's efforts and the time she was putting into helping you, but there was something about her voice that just got on your nerves.

"The I- what?" Will asked, a little confused.

"The Internet Protocol Address." Suzie explained, "It's a unique numerical label given to all information technology connected to the internet."

You couldn't say that you understood a single word of that. Damn, Suzie was very smart.

"What's the Internet?" Jonathan asked.

"Don't worry about it," Suzie sighed, clicking another button, "It's just gonna.. change the world."

You watched for another moment, eyes following the green symbols dancing about the screen. It looked so complex just for a little box of knowledge.

"And bingo.." Suzie hit a button, then leant back in her chair, probably feeling quite proud of herself.

"It's in Nevada?" You spoke, looking a little shocked. Will and Johnathan were both thinking the same thing.

Mike asked Suzie to print the coordinates and in a couple of moments, you had a sheet copy of them. Good.

"Shouldn't we get out of here before your father notices?" You asked Suzie cautiously.

"Oh, yes." She replied, suddenly springing up from the chair and bouncing towards the door, "Well come along then!"

You all trailed behind her as you rushed out of the office and down the stairs, passing her dad on the second flight. That was a close one.

You sprinted outside of the house and regrouped. Mike turned to face the lot of you, then to Suzie.

"Dustin's right, you are a certified genius."

Suzie grinned with pride. Then stopped when she noticed the amount of smoke coming from the Pizza Van before you. And the blasting music.

Jonathan and Mike immediately rushed over to open the boot. As you got closer, you could recognise the song they were playing.

"Man, I love this song!" You spoke.

Hanging around Johnathan and Argyle had really made you pick up all this 'stoner slang.'

However, no one listened to what you were saying, they were too busy pulling the boot open and looking inside.

It was Argyle and Eden. He immediately sat up, looking embarrassed.

"Hey dudes, any luck?"

A/n- How are you lot liking the story so far? :)