67. Who's Eddie?

After a long day of sorting children's clothes, you climbed back into Steve's car with weary arms and legs.

"As soon as I get back, I'm gonna collapse." Steve sighed, sinking back into the front seat.

Dustin had spent his time handing out food and water, Robin had been tasked to prepare the food whilst you and Steve were both stuck with sorting clothes.

"Me too, we had the worst jobs." You added, resting your head on the car window.

Steve switched on the engine as he looked to Dustin through the rear view mirror.

"And how was he?"

Dustin paused for a moment, then he realised that Steve was talking to him. Dustin's face turned grave.

"Not good, but I told him what happened as much as I could." Dustin responded.

Steve gripped the steering wheel firmly, nodding and biting his lip.

"I think he'll rest better knowing Eddie did what he did for the better of the people." Dustin gulped, trying to stop his voice cracking with sadness.

It probably wasn't a good idea to ask, but you had to know the answer...

"Who's Eddie?"

"It's a long story." Robin turned around, "But basically he-"

"Not now, come on." Steve rested his arm on Robins shoulder, gesturing for her to stop. He was obviously thinking of Dustin, not wanting to upset him by bringing back painful memories

"No." Dustin spoke up, "You can explain to her, it's fine."

Steve took his arm from her shoulder, focusing on the driving again.

"Well, he was the school weirdo. He got accused for murder and all that, nothing out of the ordinary..."

You dreaded to think of what that meant about Hawkins.

"...well maybe it was, because he was accused for Vecna's killing just because he was odd. We helped him whilst he was on the run, explained things to him that we'd never explained to anyone before. He then joined us when we had to kill Vecna. We all made it, he didn't. Dustin was close with him, and he was there when it happened."

So this Eddie was most definitely dead...
And Dustin had to go through that.

"We were in Hellfire together." Dustin sighed, "He was our friend even before he knew."

"Hellfire... the cult?" You remembered.

"No!" Dustin groaned, resting his head in his hands, "It was only a D&D club, I'm sick of everyone saying we worshiped demons or something!"

"Oh." You frowned, "It was on the radio."

"I know." Dustin sighed, "Just our luck that we are now suspects too."

"Aren't they closing the investigation now?" Steve prodded.

"They've just forgotten about it." Robin confirmed, her voice stern.

Suddenly, the car slowed. Steve took his foot off the accelerator and turned into the small driveway of a small house. The door was scuffed up and there were three bags rubbish on the yard against the front wall.

"And here we are."

Steve breaked. You looked confused so he added....

"Robin's house."

A/n- My next story's gonna be a romance but what sort of trope do you all prefer so I know what's best to write?