55. No Max

"Max."

El had fought well, but clearly not well enough. She had stopped fighting, Vecna must've given up or something, but something serious had happened to her friend.

"What's happened?"Will asked as El sobbed.

"Max. No. Max."

She clearly was so lost in her own world that she couldn't even process what Will was asking. You looked to Will and shrugged. His eyes were still teary.

You were past the point of worrying about Will or Mike or the awkward one sided love square you were stuck in. Well, it was more like a love line.
You->Will->Mike->Jane

El continued sobbing more, and you couldn't help but feel bad. The others looked sad too, even Argyle who had no idea who this Max was.

"No." El muttered, "No."

"What's she doing?" You asked.

"No idea." Will replied.

"I think she's trying to help Max." Mike said.

"So Max is definitely dead?" Argyle asked.

"I don't know." Mike answered.

But Eleven didn't move. She went quiet. The lights flickered.

"El?" You gave her a slight nudge. The tub rippled slightly. "Wake up El."

"Eleven." Mike was getting more concerned.

"El."

"Eleven?"

"Jane?"

Suddenly, the girl bolted upright. Her lip quivered slightly and she turned to Mike, immediately falling into his arms. You were relieved she was alright, but she looked so pale and drained, she needed rest.

She started sobbing again, resting her head on Mikes shoulder. You could tell she was happy to be so close to him again. He had her in his embrace, arms around her, comforting her.

You smiled, glad to see them so safe and happy.

"What happened?" Mike asked his girlfriend.

El gulped, pulling away from Mike, shaking her head.

"Max.. Bad things. I tried to save her." El sobbed again, "But he won. I fought, but he won. I tried."

She fell right back into his arms and the lot of you looked between each other, knowing that you tried so hard and Max was... well... was she dead?

"Is she dead?" You asked.

El nodded, "She was, I, I tried, I don't know if I... I might've saved her, but maybe not."

"We've got to go back then." You looked to Jonathan and Mike.

"Back where?" Jonathan looked confused.

"We have to go and make sure everyone's alright, if this monster has broken free, we need to help back there." You continued.

"Where? Y/n? Where?" Jonathan pressed.

"I don't remember what it's called." You added awkwardly, "Where you all came from, where Mike lives."

"Hawkins?"

You nodded.