53. {pep rally}

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

march 21st
hawkins high school

tilly slammed the door of her older friend's car, much to his dissatisfaction.

"hey!" robin called out to one of her band friends, "wait up!"

"matilda jo!"

"sorry steve." she chuckled, readjusting her camera around her neck, "bye!"

"have a good day." the boy rolled his eyes.

as robin rushed off, tilly wandered through the parking lot while adjusting her camera lens. the change from middle school to high school affected her friends much more than it had affected her. she was still the same extroverted, chatterbox she'd always been.

the only thing different about her was the way she dealt with her trauma. usually, she would've bottled it in and isolated herself from society. fortunately, their high school had a lovely guidance counsellor, ms kelly. tilly saw her every friday and ly benefited her to be able to speak out.

however, her words were restricted and she was only allowed to say so much. the battle of starcourt mall against the mind flayer had been downplayed to the public as a mall fire.

tilly entered the high school without a concern in her mind. her dull, red converse shoes squeaked as she strolled down the halls. paired with the shoes were her infamous dark blue bell-bottom jeans and a knitted white jumper.

"tilda, tilda!" a voice called out to her.

tilly pivoted on her feet to see maxine mayfield walking toward her. tilly's face brightened as she saw her best friend approaching her.

"everything okay, maxine?" tilly questioned.

"uh, yeah." max nodded, "did you forget we have pep rally?"

"shit, yeah." tilly groaned, "can't we just skip?"

"ms kelly would be on our asses if we did." max reminded her.

"true." tilly sighed, taking her friend's hand, "come on." she hauled the redhead girl to the main hall, which was already full.

"have you been okay?" max asked the girl as they walked.

"yeah, i'm fine." tilly nodded, "what about you?"

tilly was the only person max felt like she could talk to. despite their friendship having a rocky start, the two were closer than ever.

"i'm okay."

"good."

tilly scanned the bleachers, looking for a place they could stand. thankfully, the sight of her curly-haired friend caught her eye. sighing in relief, tilly tugged max through the crowd and they manoeuvred passed groups of people.