43. {the source}

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

july 4th
hopper&el's cabin - russian underground base

early the next day, the group was back in hopper's cabin. el was sat in her room, searching for the source via, the holloway's, mrs driscoll, bruce lowe and billy.

the rest were in the main room. will had been eating a snack with tilly, both sat on the kitchen island. mike was pacing back and forth around the room, while max argued with him. lucas was resting, watching the two quarrel as if it was entertainment. nancy was on the phone and jonathan scanned through the phone book.

"it can't be good for her to be in there for this long." mike walked.

"mike, you need to relax." max reassured him him.

"what if she gets brain damage or something?" mike suggested.

"oh, shit." lucas looked up in shock, "is that, like, a real thing?"

"no, it's not." max rolled her eyes, "he made it up. right, tilly?"

"i wouldn't know." tilly shrugged before stuffing her mouth with dry cornflakes, "you'll have to ask el."

"see, mike doesn't know what the hell he's talking about."

"oh, and you do?" mike sassed.

"no, i...."

"yes, from the hawkins post. i-i called a couple days ago about the..." nancy spoke on the phone, "um i was just... following up to see if anything else had gone missing, or if... okay. um, sorry to bother..."

nancy put the phone down with a sigh, "who's next?"

jonathan began crossing out a picture on the phone book, "there is no next. unless you want to start calling random people's homes."

"it doesn't make sense." nancy sighed.

"what part of any of this makes sense?" jonathan challenged.

will and tilly shared a glimpse before proceeding to listen to them squabble.

"there's a pattern, okay?" nancy explained, "a consistency to their behaviour. they've been feeding on these chemicals since this started, and-and, what, they just stop, out of the blue?"

"maybe they have all the chemicals they need." will suggested, "maybe they've all turned into those... things."

"that's the most logical explanation." tilly explained as food particles escaped her mouth.

"mattie... gross." will grimaced as he wiped the crumbs off his shorts, "you've been hanging out with mike too much," he muttered.

"have not." tilly beamed at her boyfriend, she knew how easily he got disgusted.