09. {bad men}

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

november 13th
hawkins middle

they sat in silence for a long time until tilly slowly stood up.

"what are you doing?" lucas asked.

"i have extra clothes in my locker." tilly explained, "a dry pair."

"what?" mike grimaced, "you aren't going out there."

"we promised your dad you'd stay safe." lucas reminded her.

"what if someone finds you?" dustin quizzed.

"i'll be back, you have my word." tilly declared.

"should i come with you?" mike offered.

"i'm good." she gradually walked away from the group, "thank you."

they watched the damp brunette trekked off until she was out of sight. tilly wandered through the empty hallways in fatigue. once she reached her locker, she slammed her fist against it and it unlocked.

"mj?" a voice was heard as tilly brought the clothes out.

she pivoted and was face to face with slater, "slater?"

the boy ran over to her in dismay, "w-what are you doing here?"

"what are you doing here?"

"i haven't seen you in days," slater pulled her into an embrace, "are you wet?"

"listen to me slater." tilly dumped the clothes to the floor and held his shoulders, "you need to leave."

slater saw how weak she was and the heavy bags under her eyes. "are you okay?" he asked, "did those dweebs do this to you?"

"slater!" tilly snapped, "you have to get out of here."

"let's go then."

"no." tilly shook her head, "you leave now and i'll explain everything to you when i see you next, trust me."

"tilly...." slater frowned, "i'm not leaving you."

"ai-slater wilkinson you have to leave this school and d-don't turn back. you're going to keep running until you get onto your bike a-and ride and you're not going to stop... until you get home." tilly ordered, for some reason the blood in her nose began gushing.

slater nodded as red wisps of light bounced around in his irises, "i'm not going to stop until i get home."

"good." she nodded before placing a delicate peck onto his cheek, "now go."

as tilly watched her best friend dash out of the middle school exit, she gathered her clothes up from the ground. the girl then cleaned her nose and raced back to her brand-new friends. she came back with a pile of clothes to see the four in the same position.