Chapter 55

5 years later

I never thought I'd end up here.

It wasn't an easy road, that's for sure. There were more than a few bumps along the way but it was all worth it in the end.

There are people bustling all around me and an annoying woman with a clipboard, whose name I can't remember, rambling on about a schedule. I probably should be listening to what she's saying because it sounds like it could be important but in reality I stopped paying attention to her about an hour ago.

My palms are sweaty and my heart is pounding so loudly in my chest I'm pretty sure that the entire room can hear it. I try taking a couple of deep breaths to calm myself down, like Kimberley always tells me to, and usually it works; but not today.

Looking down at my watch, I can't help but sigh in frustration when I see that there's only twenty minutes to go. Why isn't she here yet?

As the minutes tick by I feel my nerves start to get the better of me and a familiar craving begins to take hold.

"I'm going outside for a cigarette" I announce suddenly, grabbing my bag and heading in the direction of the nearest exit.

"B-but..." the annoying clipboard-lady stutters; eyes widening in panic at the possibility of her precious schedule being strayed from, "Miss Tweedy there isn't time for that."

Pretending not to have heard her I carry on walking, packet of cigarettes already in my hand, "I won't be long" I call over my shoulder, pushing open the heavy fire exit door and going out into the alleyway behind the building.

Lighting up in a matter of seconds, I lean back against the cold brick wall and inhale deeply on the cigarette between my lips, instantly feeling calmer. It's been a long time since I've smoked but I knew I'd need one today so I wisely decided to stop off at a newsagent's on the way here.

I continue puffing away on my cigarette and a few minutes later I hear the fire exit door open again. Thinking that it will probably be the woman with the clipboard coming to check up on me I turn and face the other way.

The sound of high heels echoes throughout the quiet alleyway and I close my eyes tight, childishly hoping that if I can't see her then she can't see me either.

"I thought I'd find you out here" a familiar voice says, immediately causing me to turn back around.

"Kimberley" I exclaim happily, quickly stubbing out the rest of my cigarette on the wall before dropping it to the ground and going over to her, "I didn't think you were going to make it."

"I'm sorry babe" she says, leaning in to kiss my cheek before wrapping her arms around me and hugging me close, "My meeting ran late this morning and traffic was really bad on the way over."

Throwing my arms around her, I breathe a sigh of relief, "It doesn't matter. I'm just glad that you're here now."

For a moment we just stand there holding each other until Kimberley breaks the silence by asking the dreaded question, "So...are you nervous?"

"Not really" I say, the words coming out far too quickly for my answer to be believable.

Kimberley steps back and raises an eyebrow, "You do know that I can tell when you're lying, right?"

I nod my head and look down to the floor before quietly admitting, "I'm terrified."

"Hey," Kimberley says softly, lifting my chin up with her finger, "all you need to do is keep your eyes on me and it'll be fine. I promise."

I smile at her words, remembering the last time she said them to me and how far we've come since then. Forgetting all about my nerves, I lean in and bring my lips to Kimberley's for a lingering kiss.