𝐓 𝐇 𝐈 𝐑 𝐓 𝐘 𝐅 𝐎 𝐔 𝐑

𝐂 𝐇 𝐀 𝐏 𝐓 𝐄 𝐑  𝐓 𝐇 𝐈 𝐑 𝐓 𝐘  𝐅 𝐎 𝐔 𝐑 warning: profanities ahead

warning: profanities ahead.

C L E M E N T I A

My decision about Umbridge's offer was set in stone.

As inviting as all the benefits sounded, they did not cancel out the fact that it would still be a voluntary, non-academic task done for a teacher—the last thing i'd ever want to do. The pressure of having to snitch on my fellow students isn't really my idea of fun, and that's exactly the terms of her offer in layman's term. It meant being a teacher's pet, and Merlin knows i'd rather befriend Filch than get to that point.

It also included having to spy on Potter and his friends, which, I found out a few minutes ago from the little chat Crabbe and Goyle were having beside me, was one of Umbridge's secret agendas for the Inquisitorial Squad. Why it was necessary, I didn't really care; it just made me want to reject the proposition even more. While everyone in the school was obsessed with either being with him or killing him, I wanted absolutely nothing to do with him. Where Potter was, there was danger, and where he wasn't...well, there was peace.

So I stood there, in the middle of Umbridge's office, all eyes on me as I defiantly refused to return her sickening smile.

Eleven out of Twelve Slytherin fifth-years accepted her offer. The only one who declined, with no apologies whatsoever, was me.

Umbridge's unwavering grin told me she never really took no for an answer.

But this was were my name came into use. I am a Bass—whether she liked it or not, she would have to accept my rejection.

"May I know why, Ms. Bass?"

I shrugged casually. "I'm not a very observant person, professor."

From a few feet away, I saw Draco's eyebrows lift in amusement.

Umbridge let out a giggle. "But you are not alone. I see you and Ms. Lestrange are rather close, am I correct?"

"Yes."

"Well, perhaps you can work as a pair. One can look out for rule breakers and the other can create a plan to catch them in the act. The benefits will not be altered."

"As you may know, professor, I have been hospitalized for a week—that week happening to be the first of the term. I have an abundance of work to keep me occupied for days, excluding the readings I still need to do in order to be caught up with my current lessons." The latter had been a lie. Hospitalized or not, I don't really study unless there's a test. But Umbridge didn't need to know this. "I cannot fulfill such responsibilities at the same time. I hope you understand, professor."