CHAPTER 5

It was a typical morning. It was neither cloudy nor rainy, nor warmer or colder. Today was just like yesterday and the day before yesterday.

Unusual news came out of nowhere on this ordinary day.

“The Emperor is going to take the woman as a concubine!”

“So the Empress is busy with the New Year’s preparations while Emperor takes in a concubine.”

“That’s too much.”

“He should at least have waited until New Year’s was over.”

The ladies-in-waiting were complaining darkly among themselves.

I gave them a deadpanned look.Didn't I already told them this was bound to happen and I wouldn't care a bit?

Well if this is their way to let out steam then go ahead

"Stop worrying.Youre all more worried than I am"

"But you don't seem worried your majesty"

"Because I'm not."

"But your majesty,what if the Emperor-"

"I am the Empress and my job is to run the Empire.That is my only priority.And my marriage to the Emperor was an arranged marriage,we may have grown up together but that doesn't mean we're madly in love.You can clearly see that the whole time you have been by my side"

The ladies stayed quiet and just looked at me sadly

"She's only here to entertain the Emperor.What can she do to me,the only Empress this empire could possibly have?She may have the Emperor's affection but she does not have power or influence.She will be nothing more than just the Emperor's plaything"

Talking down to her infront of them might be awful but there are some certain things a woman has to do to keep her ground.

My empress will be disappointed but I have to do this.

I need to make sure my empress stays on the top and I will do whatever it takes for that to happen.

No matter what.

*
*
*

“I’m not sending one.”

The ladies-in-waiting exchanged relieved glances among themselves.

“Thank God.”

“I was so worried that Her Majesty might send her a gift.”

Why the hell would I?

That bastard is gonna send her gifts under my empress's name either way.

She's not even qualified to be sent a gift in the first place.

"Don't worry.There's no reason for me to send her one"

The ladies cheered in delight with my words

"By the way, Your Majesty…may I ask you something?”

“What is it?”

"Is the rumor true,your majesty?"

"Rumor?"

"That the prince from the western kingdom will be in attendance for this year's new years ceremony"

The ladies kept talking about how handsome the western prince is and the rumors about him.I didn't bother to listen as I already knew what they were talking about and the truth behind it.

"But in any case,is he really coming?"
The ladies asked me in excitement and in unison.

The faces of the ladies sparkled with anticipation as they look at me.