CHAPTER 12

The New Year's celebrations finally began.

Fireworks glittered in the sky at night, and people laughed and chatted in the streets by day.

On the first day day of the New Years Ceremony Banquet...

The Emperor and Empress always make an entrance together.

It's annoying that this is required but I have no choice as I have to do this for my Empress.

I headed towards the Eastern palace

I found the garbage waiting for me outside. He smiled at me gently and extended his arm for me to take.

I stared at him confused and I just walked beside him ignoring his offer.

He put his arm down and I saw how he had a frown in his face

I'm definitely gonna enjoy tormenting this imbecile

We walked towards the grand ballroom.

The doors to the hall were wide open. Four guards, dressed in splendid imperial uniforms than usual, stood on each side of the door, and one rapped on the door when they saw the prick and I. An official sounded the trumpet, and the noise in the hall subsided.

I took a few steps with the jerk at my side, and an enormous staircase stretched downwards from our feet out towards an enormous hall dotted with the colorful outfits of the guests.The prick raised his hand, and everyone bowed at the same time. I took in the crowd, when something I saw made my hands clench involuntarily.

Near the center of the ballroom was Rashta surrounded by foreign nobles.

I examined her boredly.

Whatever...I only came here to clear up the fake rumors and create new ones

I looked away and stepped down the stairs ahead of the garbage

I calmly walked down at the end of the staircase and I then saw a woman with brown hair and familiar features which I knew is Duchess Tuania.

Im finally seeing her in person.She's so gorgeous.And with her confidence and elegance,it's no surprise she's the most influential in high society.

When I was finally off the stairs,I went towards the beautiful ladies.

I saw the other guests being surprised but I couldn't care less,I had to get away from that scum.He left my Empress to be with another woman infront of everyone and didn't even consider her feelings nor image.Not like he ever did.

And plus what better way to leave him than to hang out with the pretty ladies?

The ladies noticed I was approaching them and they curtsied to me.Then Duchess Tuania greeted me.

"Your Majesty"

"Ah,The Duchess of Tuania"

"I heard you organized this year's New Years Ceremony as well . It's very beautiful"

The other noblewomen and young ladies came and greeted me as well, and we carried on in casual conversation.

"Oh my.Is that Prince Heinley?"

"I heard he's a casanova"

"And that he associates with dangerous pirates"

"Will he choose another romantic interest here?"

"I wonder who he'll have an affair with this time"

"Well Prince Heinley is single,so it might not just end as an affair"

"Since he's to be the future emperor of the western kingdom,it would be favorable to us if he were to marry a woman from the Eastern Empire"

Oh it sure is bigtime

If only you all knew

I listened to them talk about the mysterious prince, and took a glass of champagne from a passing servant. It had only a little alcohol, almost like water. I tipped the drink up to my lips, lifting my head. Through the glass I saw the distorted figure of a man. It was Prince Heinley, staring in my direction. I lowered my head and pulled the vessel away from my lips.

I thought it was by chance that he was looking at me, but when our eyes met he didn't turn away his gaze. Instead, he lifted his own glass to toast me then took a drink.

My Empress avoided this interaction from lasting but I'd be changing that.

I smiled at him and lifted my drink then took a drink from it.At the corner of my eyes,I could see the guests looking at us surprised,some worried,some amused.

"Even the most aloof empress cannot help but look at that face."

There were even laughing voices from somewhere.I turned my head in the direction of the voice. A group of people were holding on to their stomachs as they howled in laughter.

I couldn't care less

So what if they think I'm interested in Prince Heinley?

It's not like it's not true

It was hard for me to hear, but the person with that voice said something again, and the laughter grew louder. Some of the giggling nobles glanced sideways at me and caught my gaze, and they quickly poked each other in the ribs to signal quiet. Their reaction convinced me of the certainty of my story. They thought I was deaf to what they were saying, but I was not far away.

Fuck that shit

"Pardon me...your majesty.Did you really send a gift to that woman?"

A lady had been lingering nearby, as if she had been waiting to ask me a question.

"Gift?"

"Oh,I-i'm sorry.Well it's just that that woman said you did.She said you sent her all sorts of gifts to welcome her and congratulate her on becoming a mistress"

The time has finally come for me to murder that rumor and spread a new story for high society to munch on

"I did not. Actually...it was the Emperor that sent those gifts to her"

The ladies suddenly perked up and the surrounding guests peered their ears towards us

"Apparently,the mistress was upset that I , the Empress didn't send her any gifts.So the Emperor sent her gifts under my name to sooth her.I also hear she's very sensitive and prone to crying so I just ignored it"

I spoke calmly and the other ladies chuckled and said, "Is that so?"

"Oh ofcourse!"

"The Emperor must have wanted to save the mistress's face by sending her gifts pretending it was from the Empress!"

"That actually makes sense if you think about it"

"How could the Emperor do that at the expense of the Empress though?"

"Yes,it's just so outrageous"

The guests that heard our conversations started whispering to themselves and is probably spreading the word

I'm merely just telling the truth. Now,I'm just gonna let the tide do it's work.