CHAPTER 17

The morning sun shone through the thin curtains, casting shadows on the floor in the shape of the window frames.

I yawned and raised myself from the bed

I patted my face to wake myself up, then went to the bathroom to wash my face. Behind me, my ladies-in-waiting prepared the bathtub with petals and salts. My clothes were removed and I sank into the warm water, allowing my muscles to relax. I closed my eyes and leaned against the bathtub as the ladies-in-waiting massaged my head with careful hands.

After the bath, I put on a robe and went into the bedroom. As it was the last day of the New Year’s celebration and the day of the special banquet, the dress selected for me was extravagant, but not overly so, and simultaneously captured a sense of calm and splendor.

After getting dressed, I placed on my diamond earrings and crown. The crown wasn’t made for ceremonial purposes, and wasn’t too large and heavy.

I know that woman will admire and be jealous of my crown so I have to do my best to flaunt to her.

I looked over my notes on the special guests while the ladies styled my hair to match the crown.

However, before they could finish, one of bastard’s secretaries arrived. As I was already dressed, I allowed him in, and the secretary conveyed the prick’s words with great embarrassment.

“Your Majesty, the Emperor would like a word with you.”

“Now?”

“Yes, it’s about the special banquet, so please come quickly—”

I nodded and ordered the ladies to quickly finish my hair.

I followed the imbecile’s secretary to the eastern palace.

That bastard would ask of me to scoot in that woman but I'm not doing that.

Instead of refusing pettily,I'm gonna refuse while mocking him

He won't even know what's coming

"You asked to see me about the special banquet?"

I immediately questioned the shitface as soon as I entered his room. Rashta was sitting on the bed, but I pretended not to know her. However, I did notice her staring at me—no, staring at the crown on my head, more exactly.

Look all you want,that's all your gonna get

"Could you make room on your guest list for one more person?"

Ahh this bullshit...

"Your majesty, you're not thinking of ruining the relationship we have with the foreign guests or with the nobles yet again,are you?"

"What?"

"Many of the guests consists of foreign royal family members and powerful nobles, and are considered the most important people of the year. To set aside an important guests... could cause an international problem or problems with the nobles."

I studied the piece of shit closely, who seemed caught in an awkward silence.

Let's make that worse,shall we?

"Your majesty,you seem to have forgotten what you just did with the Crown Prince of the Western Kingdom"

The retard flinched at the sudden subject that I brought up

"I have never said anything about that incident but if your majesty is gonna be like this again,I'm afraid someone has to remind you of your duties to our guests."

I sighed to emphasize my disappointment

"Please,for the Empire's sake,control yourself.You are not looking good at the eyes of the people these days.And do not worry about the Crown Prince,I will talk to him and fix this matter with him"

I curtsied and gave my farewell as etiquette dictated, and then left the room with a stately walk.

*

*

*

The Final Day of the New Years Ceremony

The Special Banquet is being held in the Red Rose Room

I went to the Red Rose room for the special banquet.

Lively music filled the air, and the special guests were gathered together in groups of three or four. I walk towards Princess Soju, with a casual nod to everyone else, when I came across Grand Duke Kaufmen first, who was holding a champagne glass. A large statue holding a flower basket and sword and a servant carrying champagne bottles stood symmetrically on either side of him, leaving no other way to pass.

"Is the food to your liking?"

"Your majesty"

I gave him a small smile without realizing it. Instead of answering me, he stared at me again. His long, sharp eyes were something fierce.

"Are you worried about my thoughts yesterday or of the story that is spreading about you?"

I talked to him in my thoughts to make sure no one would hear about that topic.

"Please don't mind their words,people always talk about such things but they would  grow tired of it soon enough and about my thoughts...please don't mind them,the show just got to my head and I have no plans to act on them"

Kaufman nodded and asked me his own question out of nowhere.

"Is this how you do things in the Eastern Empire?"

"I beg your pardon?"

"In Luipt,the Imona and Imote put on a united front"

"The King and Queen put on a united front?How interesting "

"Do you know Luiptian?"

"I only know a handful of basic words"

"In the Kingdom of Luipt,if the Imote's lover ever came to the attention of the Imona,she would have them executed immediately "

"Unfortunately,in the Eastern Empire,not even the Empress can order an execution without reason.If she did,she would have to face the law"

"Believe me,I wish it was that easy.Then I wouldn't be going through any of this"

"It is unwise not to protect what is yours"

"Are you mocking me,Grand Duke?Just so you know,that imbecile is not mine to protect"

But before I could protest more Grand Duke Kaufmen left with his glass of champagne.