Prologue

I throw up everything from last night into the toilet.

"I'm never drinking again," I groan to myself as I swipe the back of my hand over my mouth.

My best friend, Remi, holds my hair back, standing behind me doing her own gagging. "Please just be done before-" she sounds like she is about to barf again "I throw up, too."

"I said you can leave," I mutter. I know she gets triggered when hearing or seeing people throw up.

"You'll make a mess," she reminds me, "I had to drag you to get you in here, if you had it your way, you would've thrown up in bed."

I grab my head. "Everything hurts."

"What were you thinking going out last night?" Remi asks, helping me up.

"I wasn't thinking," I lean my weight in her, "that's my problem."

Remi's voice is soft and careful. "You can't keep doing this, Sonny. Keep going and you'll be-"

"Don't finish that sentence," I glare.

She doesn't back down, she's never afraid to tell me the truth. "I'm glad I don't have to finish it for you to get it."

I look away from her and at the wooden floor. She was about to say I will end up like my father. He is a heartbroken and stressed man that has picked up a bad habit.

I laugh to myself because the same woman, my mother, had driven both of us to drink. My dad isn't a mean drunk, he's never laid a hand on me. But he is a lazy and sad one. My mom left my dad when I was 20. My little brother had just graduated high school and I guess she said her work was done.

Mind you, she had left plenty of times before that, she disappears no longer than a month. She was also an addict, too. Her kink was for drugs- hard drugs.

That woman put our family through hell. Even to this day.

A year after she left, she sent my dad divorce papers. Dad cried the whole night with a bottle in his hand. He couldn't get himself to sign them for the longest. Mom would cause a scene on our door step cursing her ex husband and her kids. She wasn't sober most of the time. Okay, all times she was intoxicated and on something, but I say that to make myself feel better.

Anyway, she'd yell all types of stuff about us. Her words were sharp, clear, and held strong hatred. When dad finally signed the papers, she disappeared for good.

Or so we thought.

Now she just shows up for holidays and special occasions, making sure to spoil them for us.

That is what has happened recently. My older brother had a baby, and him and his wife just came home from the hospital. We threw them a coming home party. By that I mean it was just immediate family sitting in the living room watching their baby do cute things. We of course would never do that without their permission, we made sure they were okay with it cause we did want to overwhelm them.

Anthony and Sierra were happy to bring everyone together. But at ten o'clock that night, there was banging at the door. My niece, Aria, was asleep in her nursery thankfully. By the time she woke up to nurse, the situation was dealt with.

When we all left their house that night, I made a pit stop at a club for a drink. I was way underdressed, but I didn't care. Things went left I suppose when I woke up in a strangers bed. I wasted no time getting out of there.

I sat on the curb waiting for Remi to come get me. That brings us here.

I lay down in my bed and groan irritably.

"Oh, hush," Remi rolls her eyes, "just go to sleep."

That is exactly what I intend to do, so I turn on my side and take in the familiarity of my bed. In my head I compare how comfortable his bed was compared to mine. The guy literally had silk sheets.

My eyes close on there own and it doesn't take much for me to fall into a deep sleep.