A Relationship

I lay in bed, thinking about last night. My fingers constantly feel my lips, and I bite my lip in excitement.

To my disappointment, or maybe even my satisfaction, Warren is gone. A note was left on the pillow next to me, informing me that breakfast is downstairs, with chicken avocado wraps in the fridge for lunch later. He will be back this evening to pick me up and bring me into the city.

The first think I thought about was what was for breakfast, then about the awkward car ride. Did he remember anything from last nights? I'm not sure how drunk he was...he could've been out of it, but that wasn't a sloppy kiss.

I cleaned myself up, then went down to the kitchen. The glass was gone and the the garbage was emptied.

"Ooou," I rub my hands together, eying the donut box.

Their are glazed-my favorite—chocolate, and white icing with sprinkles, two of each, six in total. I don't know which one to eat first. After choosing sprinkles, I eat one of each. The last three I say for some time later.

I settle back upstairs and watch some tv. When it's after twelve, I get ready to kiss this 'weekend getaway' goodbye. Which is half true. I have to return home, fantasize over a trip I spent in a house, terrified, and maybe even return to my daily routine.

Warren gave me the choice to stay home or stay in a gated house that was under his watch. I'd like to think I can handle being in my own home alone. Of course, the first thing in my mind is to get new locks, maybe invest in a gun and shooting lessons.

I know everything Warren owns is...nice. So nice that I couldn't be at peace staying on a property that cost more than my life. I'd be more open to finding a new apartment if anything.

Due to the pressure of packing, I didn't bring much, it was just random, mix-matched clothing. My backpack was packed and zipped up, sitting by the foot of the bed.

By the time I finished two French braids in my hair, I was ready for a nap.

~

I seriously underestimated how awkward this would be.

Warren got in really late in the evening. The sun made the sky warm and bright like it wasn't about to leave us in darkness.

I sat on the couch with my hands under my thighs in sweats and a t-shirt and the dirty vans I packed. Warren was walking around on the phone, talking what might as well be counted as a whisper. I wasn't surprised that some of his sentences were coded in Italian.

He let on no tellings that he remembered—or even forgot last night. It was as if nothing happened at all...

I waited for him to say he was ready, but I wasn't rushing him. If we could leave out late, and I could fall asleep the whole ride back, that would be wonderful.

"Do you have everything?" Warren hung up the phone and put it in his pocket.

"Yeah," I clear my throat and stand up. Warren takes my backpack and I hold the box with the last two donuts.

Neither of us say anything while we get into the car. Warren puts something in my lap, it's my phone. I smile, having been then missed it so much. "Thanks."

"I swung by your apartment," he backs the car up.

"Is everything still okay?"

He nodded. I turned it on and, as expected, there were missed calls and texts. One was from Remi, saying she heard the news about the getaway that didn't have good service. So that's the lie we were going with, I guess. I shot a text to my family's group chat saying I was on my way back to the city.