Was That So Hard

I absentmindedly took Dawson back to my place uptown. She didn't seem to mind that she wasn't returned back to her apartment, or that she could possibly be spending the night again.

In fact, I don't think she had any care to what I was telling her while she laid down in bed.

Her hums were all I had to go off of as I explained that I was leaving and wouldn't be back till late.

I just hopes she wouldn't wake up with the wrong idea when she sees I'm nowhere to be found after the intimate moment we just shared.

"Call me when you wake up," I whisper to her. She nods against the pillow, tucking her hands under her chin.

I press my lips against her temple. Her face twists with discomfort as her hips shift. "Warren?"

"Yes..."

"Can you reach me a pillow," she mumbles. For a second she shows her tired, silver eyes to me.

"I got it," I tell her when she still tries to get it herself.

"Thank you...can you put it between my legs?" She points.

I fold the pillow like I once seen her do, and put it between her knees. "Is that better?"

"Mmhm," her eased brows show her satisfaction.

"I'll be back with dinner," I take the throw at the foot of the bed and toss it over her. Before I leave, I turn the air up only a little. I know before she has mentioned the best way to sleep is in the cold, buried under a blanket.

I leave a crack in the door and go outside where Yugi, Levi, and Donnie are posted.

Dante looks at me with boredom in his eyes but in a minute that will change. He flicks a tired cigarette to the ground and stumps it out. "Is she dealt with?"

"Pick that shit up," I snap, looking at the ground then to him again. He does, making sure to roll his eyes.

That makes it sound like Dawson is an asset that needs looking after, making us stop what we are doing to tend to her. She is nowhere near that, I'd drop everything when she calls me. Not only do I care for her—deeply—but it's common knowledge. She is five months pregnant, and by the day she is loosing her mobility. I can see it, she knows it, too. She is stalling to face the day when she has to stop wearing heels for the sake of her swollen feet. Her confident strut was also becoming a steady waddle.

"Yugi, stay here with her. Only person that needs to be let in here is Hermione. Once she does her job, she's out. Got it?" I raise my brow.

"Yes, sir," he nods.

"And don't fucking wake her up," I add.

Levi, Donnie, and I get into our own cars. I switch my mental gears to prepare to deal with this bull shit.

~

The abandoned warehouse was perfect in it's own way. Any normal person would look past the moss on the bricks, the rotten window shutters that desperately needed a layer of paint, or the cracks and potholes in the streets.

It was marked as private property with a gate highlighting the property line, barbed wires curled on top of it.

People, I'm not sure if they were homeless or even in their right state of mind, lurked in the area. They shot us glances through the tinted windows of our cars. Levi was behind me, Donnie was in front of me. We were obviously two different classes, but little did they know I looked at them no differently from my side of the glass. My mother taught me to respect anyone that surrounded me, sometimes people can't change their situation. I knew they were only looking at me out of spite—assuming that I was judging them. But there was nothing I could do about that but let them do whatever made them feel better.