De Santis

In the matter of two weeks, Warren has just found time to meet my family.

It made me curious as to if he would make the appointment next week, he said that he would be there.

Josie and Warren were on their way over. My brothers should be getting off work in a little while.

I cleaned up my place and set out some snacks. They were really for my own satisfaction because I wanted cookies and sandwiches.

"Coming!" I shove the cookie in my mouth, and dust my hands off when there is a knock at the door.

I open the door and Josie stands there, smiling inevitably with a six pack of drinks. Warren is behind her, looking grumpy as usual, in a suit.

"Good evening, I bought some drinks. I hope you don't mind," Josie held them up.

"No, not at all," I opened the door. Warren was holding everything. "You didn't have to buy ice," I slumped, "I have an ice maker."

She waved me off. "That's fine, at least you won't be left with no ice by the time the night ends."

I go to take some of the bags off of Warren's hands as he walk past me, but he puts his hand behind him. "I got it," he grumbles.

"You have like- twenty bags in each hand," I huff quietly while I follow behind him.

"The last thing you need is to be carrying bags, missy," Josie gave me a pointed look.

"Yeah, yeah, it was worth a try." I just open the ice box for Warren to put the bag of ice in there to keep cool.

"Your place is so cozy," Josie looks around, so does Warren, "must be nice coming home to something like this."

"Yeah, I like my little apartment. I'm getting tired of looking at it though. I might rearrange it."

Warren sighs next to me, looking like I said something wrong. Josie laughs, making me look at her. "Just be careful. You're going to give Warren a heart attack."

We settle on the couches, and I try to keep them entertained while we wait for my family. Somehow we, well Josie and I, were on the topic of clothes. I told her about a jacket that tore, and she happened to be good at sowing. She asked if she could see the whole so I go up to get the jacket that was hanging on the door of my closet, in my room.

I pull the jacket from the hook and then I'm not alone in my room anymore.

"What's wrong..." I look at Warren. He doesn't loo at me directly and his jaw in clenched, thinking with concentration.

"We need to talk," he says.

My arms fall to the side. "Oh my gosh. I was right. I knew it."

Now he just looks confused. "What? What are you talking about?"

"The joke I made. I know I shouldn't have laughed about how she killed her cat when she was little, but the way she said it was funny," I fisted the jacket.

"Dawson, I'm talking about us."

My mouth formed an '0'. "Oh, it's about us?"

Next, I asked, "Does it have to be now?" He nodded.

"After everyone leaves."

I can't help but let my thoughts get the best of me. "Is it bad?"

"No...I just need to tell you some things about me and my family."

I look at him with false sadness, nodding my head. "Warren, to me your mom seems cool. But I understand if the rest of them aren't right in the head...mine are weird, too. I've learned not to apologize for them and be proud."