Need To Think

Dr.Bennet is an older man with a warm wrinkled smile. His hair is thin, showing his scalp and he has a slight belly under his shirt and blue tie. "Hello, hello, I hope everyone's doing good today, hm?"

I nod, Warren doesn't do anything. "That's good to hear," Dr.Bennett continues, "congratulations on the little one."

"Thank you," I try to smile as if this was actually planned.

"Alright, and you are the father, correct?" He smiles at Warren.

"Yes..." he says, then clears his throat.

"Okay, before we start anything, let's chat," he sits on a stool and takes out a pen. "Talk to me, momma, have you been experiencing any symptoms?"

I nod. "Definitely nausea and morning sickness. My, uh, breast," I glance at Warren, "are a little tender...um, at first I was having fevers but those kind of passed and I have to go to the bathroom, like a lot."

He scribbles stuff down on his chart. "Then let me tell you, Ms.Callahan: it may not seem like it, but you are having a very healthy and normal pregnancy. Now, do we have an exact conception date?"

"October 21st," I say off the back.

"Good, that will give us a easy timeline of how far along you are and give us a due date," he wrote that down as well, "do either of you have any children? Experienced pregnancy or labor, anything in that sort."

I shake my head and look at Warren and he does the same, leaning against the wall with his arms crossed.

"That's completely fine, I'm here to walk you through the process," he tells us, "first, we are going to get some pictures and scans. I'll be back to answer your questions."

He leaves the room and Nurse Bailey comes back with a machine. "Okay, I'm going to set this up and then we'll get started."

The machine is up and running and I began to recognize this part from movies and tv shows. "Can you lay back and lift up your shirt for me?"

I do so and pull up my vest and undo a few of the buttons at the end of my shirt. "This is going to be a little cold," she mumbled.

I watch carefully, biting my lip, holding down my rolled up sweater to see over it. "Let's see what's going on in here...oh yeah, we're late by about fifteen weeks."

On the screen, I finally see the little alien inside of me. I smile widely and I fall in love. But it goes away at the question I think of.

"Is it normal to go that long without knowing you're pregnant?" I frown, propping Nuuk in my elbows.

"Not at all," she shakes her head, "people have gone way longer. You'd be surprised."

"But everything is okay, right?" Warren finally speaks up . He leaves the wall and comes closer, looking at the ultrasound.

"Yes, the baby looks completely healthy. And saying that you didn't know, you are passed the danger zone."

"Danger zone?" I repeat.

"The farther into pregnancy, the chance lowers of a miscarriage. The steaks are high in the first trimester. But you are near the second, so you should have a smooth pregnancy from now on."

"I say by the next appointment, we might get a gender," she adds.

"Does she have to do anything specific?" Is his next question.

"Well of course keep a low stress level. Small things like that are good for right now. As far as every day activities, you haven't been having any problems doing those, have you?"