Ch. 2: The Night Begins

The time was near as Luz went over her final checks, making sure she had everything.

Weapons, armor, and her outfit she wore every purge. The outfit she donned to show them her true self. She wore a black long sleeve hoodie, dark red cargo pants, and combat boots. Underneath that was a bullet proof vest, arm guards, and shin guards. Finally, to tie it all together, Luz wore a special neon cat/fox mask with a scar on the right cheek.

"I'm ready." Luz said as she checked the clock one more time.

it was only 30 minutes to the sirens and she need to change before they went off.

Moving briskly, Luz changed into her TRUE clothes and then waited. Thinking of everyone that had what was coming to them, everyone that mocked her, that hurt her, and never accepted her.

'I will have my justice once again.' Luz thought, holding her mask before her face.

The second she heard the siren, she put her mask on and grabbed a black backpack before she rushed down the stairs of her house.

''This is not a test. This is your emergency broadcast system announcing the commencement of the Annual Purge sanctioned by the U.S. Government. Weapons of class 4 and lower have been authorized for use during the Purge. All other weapons are restricted. Government officials of ranking 10 have been granted immunity from the Purge and shall not be harmed. Commencing at the siren, any and all crime, including murder, will be legal for 12 continuous hours. Police, fire, and emergency medical services will be unavailable until tomorrow morning until 7 a.m., when The Purge concludes. Blessed be our New Founding Fathers and America, a nation reborn. May God be with you all.'' The message along with the sirens said, making everyone away that it was time to Purge.

Camila quickly hugged Luz once more before letting her out if the house and activating the security system to lock down the house, metal covers over all entrances while Camila receded into a panic room in the basement with food, drinks, bedding, and weapons.

"Please be safe." she said to herself, praying for her daughter.

Meanwhile outside of her home, Luz looked as the metal shutters closed to make sure it was secure before turning towards the main town of Gravesfield.

'Time to get to work.' Luz thought.

She didn't waste any time and pulled out her gun, cocking it and spraying bullets to kill a few people she caught outside. Whether they were fellow killers that wanted to purge or people that wanted to robe stores without worry, Luz killed them all as she made her way towards the town. Tonight, she would increase her body count.

"Let's go for a hundred this year." Luz said to herself.

Seeing a car nearby, Luz walked towards it and shot through the window with her gun. She unlocked the doors and got in before hot wiring the car to start. The roar of the engine excited Luz, making her grateful for all the hours she spent playing racing video games.

"Woohoo! Free car!" She said.

Luz put the pedal to the metal as she drove towards the center of the city, where the Purge was truly beginning. On the way, she ran into a few speed bumps, normal ones and other members of the purge that weren't fast enough to move out of the way.

'I feel like I'm playing Grand Theft Auto!' Luz thought as she saw some other purgers enjoying the night.

Some of them were in groups causing havoc together, some were setting traps in buildings, and others were robbing some stores for either money or items.

'Maybe I'll some looting first, I could use some extra money.' Luz thought as she came to a stop before a group.

Luz didn't just kill, she also stole if she had the time. It was also around this time of year Luz had actual friends, though she never saw their faces and they never saw hers, still it was nice to become pretty friendly with some of them. One slapped the car hood as he and his gang walked by.

"Hey, Neko." He greeted.

"Hey, Johnny 13." Luz said with a wave.

Luz continued down the street, mowing down anything that stood in her way.

She had a few targets in mind to personally kill, hopefully they were either out in the purge now or their house defenses had a gap she could slip through with barely any difficulty.

"Here comes the first stop." she said to herself.

Luz found the first location she wanted to purge in, the Gravesfield mall. It was a natural hot spot for purging, hiding, or looting because it such a big place with over 50 stores! Luz decided to have a bit of fun and put the car in high gear; stomping on the gas to drive the car right through the glass of the front! She got out of the car and looked around, seeing the mall was rather empty or she just couldn't find anyone in this part of the mall at the moment.

"Might as well get the money while no one else is here." Luz said as she began walking.

Luz headed to the first store on her left, a very expensive clothing store that sold the latest fashions for hundred of dollars.

She went to the cash register and opened it with one of her knifes, smiling at the large amount of cash that was inside.

"And just like that, I just paid for college." Luz joked.

Luz opened her black backpack and took all of the money from the register, planning to count it later, before moving on to the next one. A small sound was heard in the background just as Luz opened the second register.

'Someone is here.' Luz thought as she stopped taking money and grabbed her uzi, just hearing small noises creeping up behind her.

She spun around and pointed her gun at nothing? She looked around some more before looking down to see a small owl?

"Huh?" Luz let out in confusion, seeing and wondering why a small, brown owl was inside of a clothing store during the purge

The small owl didn't do anything but stare at Luz before suddenly flying up and taking some money from her bag.

"HEY!" Luz shouted as it flew off in a random direction.

She wasn't going to let this fly and chased after it.

I don't know how but you ain't taking my money! I got to it first!' Luz thought as she aimed her Uzi at the owl. 'I don't kill animals, that's a line I won't cross but I'll try to clip your wing a bit.'

Luz pulled the trigger and shot the owl, grazing its wing enough to make it flinch and falls before she caught it.

"Sorry, little guy, but mama needs her cash." Luz said before taking the money from the owl.

The owls eyes started to glow, freaking Luz out.

"What the hell?!" Luz said, dropping the owl and some of the money she took back.

Suddenly, a yellow doorway appeared before her to make the store shine and make Luz cover her eyes for a moment. She uncovered them to see the owl flying through the doorway...with more of Luz's backpack in it's talons!

"What?! How the hell?!" Luz shouted as she felt around her back, finding her bag gone, before she ran after the owl! "Get back here with my stuff!"