Ch. 11: Lost Wonder, Found Again

The ride home was quiet, but Eda was silently impressed with Luz. She was able to see right through something that most humans and witches would've fallen for. It made her also wonder just what these "purges" were like in person, to make a girl completely not care about wonder and fairy tales even if she's a teenager.

'Maybe a little wonder isn't a bad thing.' Eda thought with something coming to mind, something that could restore a bit of Luz's innocence.

They arrived back at the Owl House and Luz went to put her weapons away in the trunk, right next to her mask and machete. El-Chopo.

'I didn't need to use my uzi as much as I thought but it was a good thing. Helps save bullets and I only had to kill one person. Or squid demon in this case.' Luz thought as she put her weapons away and closed the trunk.

Luz fell back on her sleeping mat with a released breath, feeling good from both beating Adegast, and eating him because he was surprisingly filling for a small squid. So filling that she might have go to sleep early, but that couldn't happen as Eda knocked on her door a few minutes later.

"Hey, kid, you mind coming with me for a bit? I need to show you something." Eda said through the door.

Luz let out a groaning sigh, moving to sit up and rolled her neck.

"Okay, I'm up." Luz said, getting up and walking to the door.

Upon opening it, Eda was seen smiling down to her with her hands on her hips.

"Alright, let's go." Eda said as she guided Luz through of the house.

"What are we going?" Luz asked.

"It's a surprise." Eda said as she lead Luz outside with King following them.

Eda got on her staff and made Luz sit behind her as King got behind them as well. They took off flying as Eda looked back to Luz and King.

"King, cover her eyes." Eda ordered.

"What? Why?" Luz asked as King was also confused.

"I want her to be surprised. You've seen where we're going so you don't need to be surprised." Eda said to him.

Seeing her logic, King climbed onto her shoulders and covered Luz's eyes. This made her groan but she didn't pull the small demon off her shoulders or his hands off her eyes.

"Fine. This surprise better be good." Luz mumbled to herself.

They flew for a couple minutes until Eda said they were there.

"Okay, you can open your eyes." Eda said as King moved his hands away.

"Finally now wha-" Luz said before her voice was caught in her throat, gasping in awe.

"Behold, Luz. The bones of the Boiling Isles." Eda said as she showed Luz the entirety of their home, a giant demon skeleton with life flourishing from its remains.

" Eda said as she showed Luz the entirety of their home, a giant demon skeleton with life flourishing from its remains

Luz had no words to describe the beauty of the giant dead body. How could she when death was never as beautiful or life giving until this moment?

"Wow." Luz could only say as a sparkle of light flashed in her eyes.

Eda smiled at seeing the innocent light in Luz's eyes, letting her know that some was still a kid. Despite all that she's seen in her "purging," she's still got some light in her.

"Nice view, right kid?" Eda asked.

"Yeah...it really is." Luz replied slowly.

"You want to know the reason why I showed you this?" Eda asked her.

"Yeah." Luz said, turning to Eda. "What is it?"

"This world may look crazy at first, but... from a different angle, it's pretty nice." Eda said as she pointed up to a shooting star flying in the sky, making Luz smile more.

"I guess you're right." Luz said as she relaxed, exhaling calmly. "But why did you want to show me this?"

Eda decided to be serious, losing her smile and gazing out at the Boiling Isles.

"Life doesn't always work out in the way we think, kid. Some people go out to find their destiny and some people wait like some chosen one, it's always up to you to make the best out of the life you got." Eda said as she looked back to Luz. "I know that purging life style isn't going to be easy to walk away from, but you're taking a good first step in becoming a new you, kid."

Luz couldn't say anything to the old witch, impressed and and touched by her words.

"Wow, that's...wonderful to hear. Thanks, Eda." Luz said with a smile.

"Anytime, kid." Eda said as she smiled at Luz.

They continued to stare at the Titan for a while longer, taking in its beauty and thinking off the future.

'Maybe this place is just what I've been looking for. A place where I can truly belong.' Luz thought.