Ch. 12: Ready for Anything

A few days had past and several things had happened since. Luz made two friends, learned about a magic school, and learned that Eda had a crazy curse that transformed her into a beast that tried to kill her during a storm. That was a very difficult night, Luz almost died before King found something to change her back. Now, Luz was at the stand with Eda and King, helping them sell the various human items she had little to no information about.

"And what is this?" Eda asked, holding up a pair of black dice.

"Those look like trick dice. I don't know exactly how their made but I've seen them played with, they always come up at a set number to help you cheat and win. They're more useful with a cup to hide them under." Luz said as she took and dice and rolled them.

They landed on the table, letting land on a snake eyes before rolling them again but this time, they landed on double sixes.

"I can't tell you how many times I've won money using these things on some of the laid back purges." Luz said with a smirk.

"Ooh, then mama is keeping these for herself!" Eda said as she took the dice and put them in her hair.

"Try and be careful with them, they can be tricky at times." Luz said, having lost a few times even when she used trick dice.

Eda rolled her eyes at Luz before noticing the market place was emptier than usual today, almost no people at all.

'Where is everyone? Somethings wrong today.' Eda thought.

"Is there something going on here?" Luz asked aloud for Eda.

"I don't know but I have a feeling it's bad news." Eda said with an ominous tone.

"Luz, great news!" a voice called out.

Looking to the side, Luz saw her two friends Gus and Willow walking to the stand with a poster in hand. Luz jumped over the stand and hugged Willow and Gus, happy to see them.

"Good to see you guys. So, what's the news?" Luz asked as she broke the hug.

"The annual Covention is today." Willow said as she held up the poster to Luz. "Every coven will be there to show off their magic, offer spots to new witches, and help plan futures. There's even a mystery guest this year."

"Hmm, so it's job fair but with magic, cool." Luz said as she looked to Eda. "We should check it out."

"No way, I refuse to go somewhere like that." Eda said in an instant.

"What? Why?" Luz asked.

"No don't!" King shouted but was too late.

"Because is just a facade to lure people to join a crooked system that limits their magic potential to one type." Eda said as she slammed her fist into the table.

"Now you've done it." King said, groaning.

"Mock all you want, King! My words are the truth and the truth shall not be silenced." Eda said as she crossed her arms.

"Mmm." Willow let out as she looked offended at Eda's "truth" with Gus looking the same.

"Oh, don't you even look at me like that." Eda said, crossing her arms to the young witch. "You know what happened when I tried to join? They threw rocks at me and called me a monster."

'Oh yeah, I almost forgot that Eda was cursed at my age.' Luz thought as she imagined how she must've felt.

Scared, alone, and wanting nothing more than to be comforted but had no one around.....it made her very grateful that Eda cared enough to help her move on. To find a life away from the purging path.

"It was a traumatizing moment and it made me despise the coven system." Eda said as she looked away.

"I understand that but still, I want to see it for myself and judge it then. I'm not going to join a coven but I want to check out the Covention center." Luz said to Eda.

"Well, you can count me out if you want to go and get yourself brainwashed." Eda said to Luz.

"I wanna go!" King shouted with his hand up.

"No you don't." Eda said to him, putting his hand down.

King groaned at this as Luz facepalmed, looking to Gus and Willow to see them feeling awkward right now.

"Eda, I think you're getting a little excessive." Willow said while pinching her fingers.

"I think I'm not! Plus, do you know how much security they have at this thing? I'd be walking right into a coven guard for all I know and WAM! I'm in prison." Eda said as she crossed her arms and looked away. "I am standing by my decision. I am not going, King isn't going, and you know what? I changed my mind. Luz's isn't going either."

Luz stared at Eda for a few moments before turning to Gus and Willow.

"Can you guys give me a moment? I need to to do some negotiating with Eda." Luz said in a strangely calm voice.

Willow and Gus looked confused yet also scared before they nodded. The two left the stand at a distance while Luz turned to Eda with a straight face.

"What's it going to take for you to let me go check out the Covention?" Luz asked her. "You know I can handle myself, you know I've got my weapons on me, and you know I agree with you in the "justice" system here."

"I don't see your machete in you." Eda said, looking Luz over.

Luz gave her a blank face as she took over her hoodie and turned around, revealing that her machete was strapped to her back in alignment with her spine.

"Geez, that's actually kind of creepy." Eda said with a flinch as King shivered at the weapon.

"In the purge, you have to be ready for anything and whip out anything that will save you. In a place like this, I think the same rule applies." Luz said as she put back in her hoodie to hide the machete. "I won't use it or my other weapons unless I have to but I'm saying that I can handle myself. If anything goes bad at the Covention, I'll get out and head to the owl house. I promise. So can I please go?"

Thinking for a moment and groaning through her teeth, Eda nodded to Luz.

"Fine, you can go." she said.

"What about me?" King asked.

"Not you. You'd just cause unwanted trouble." Eda said to him. "And before you try and argue, need I remind you of the last time I took you somewhere?"

King grumbled as he turned away, sitting in a huff.

"Okay, see ya, Eda. And I'll bring you back a souvenir, King." Luz said as she ran off to Willow and Gus. "Okay, Eda gave me the okay. So let's check out the Covention."

"Great." Willow said with a smile.

"Let's go!" Gus said.