Ch. 8: Deliveries and a Quest

After breakfast was done, Eda had given Luz a large sack full of potions to deliver and King was appointed to be her guide as they stood at the door.

"WHY ME?!" King shouted at her.

"Because Luz could get lost. Or do you want to pay rent? You're old enough to get a job now." Eda said as she crossed her arms.

King had a little tantrum and got down, mumbling as he walked up to Luz.

"We'll be back afterwards, Eda. I'll also make sure your customers pay you in full." Luz said to Eda before walking with King.

"Okay! Don't die and all that!" Eda called out to them.

"Have a safe trip! Hoot." Hooty said to them.

'Like that will happen.' Luz thought as Eda shut the door.

Even though Luz had sworn off killing people ever again outside of self defense, that didn't mean she would let anyone just kill her without a fight.

"Alright, King, let's go." Luz said, as she looked down to her small guide. "The sooner we get going, the sooner we get done."

"Yeah, yeah, sure. Maybe we'll get lucky and you can kill someone." King said, rolling his eyes.

"Only if I need to." Luz said to him.

Luz kept her knifes in her side pockets, easy to reach but out of the way for now.

King showed Luz around Bonesborough, the town she was living in now. Every creature or witch she saw was something out of her wildest imaginations. It was like her favorite book series had come to live, only mixed with reality as each demon or witch tried to eat her or jip in payment.

"This place is crazy." Luz said as she and King sat on a curb for a break, having delivered a LOT of potions/elixirs. "Yet, oddly, I love it."

You love it?" King asked Luz.

"It's everything I expected of a magical world, and mixed with a little reality to make it seem more real than a fantasy. It feels like purge night in a kiddie sort of way." Luz said with a shrug.

"I guess...but what's it like?" King asked.

Luz thought about it for a moment, wanting to describe her experience in the best way that she could. Even if the memories were now a little sickening from how she used to enjoy it, she could still find some good things about it.

"The Purge is...freedom. A dangerous freedom but freedom none the less. To do whatever you want and take whatever you want without worry. But it comes with a downside if you decide to kill someone." Luz said as she looked at her hand, seeing flashes of blood on it. "It feels strange at first, but feels good if you kill someone you hate. Over time, it feels too good and it changes you."

"How?" King asked as Luz began to shake a bit, slowly closing her hand and taking a breath to calm down.

"It changes you so much...you don't even notice. Like it changed me before I came here." Luz said as she looked to King. "After my first kill, I...I began to spend years plotting the most ruthless ways to kill those that hurt me."

"And?" King asked, a little sad and worried.

"For so long, it felt good at the time but in reality, it wasn't good for me at all. Like a drug that too addictive to stop using." Luz said as she mowed her hand over her new buzz cut. "Ending up here, Eda helped me get my head on straight and made me think about what I truly want in life."

"Oh, good." King said with a tiny nod before asking again. "So...what do you want in life, exactly?"

"I.....I don't know anymore. I'm hoping to find out while I stay here." Luz said to King as she got up from the curb, grabbing the sack with the remaining potions. "Come on, let's finish this last delivery and head back home."