Ch. 18: Blood Moon Part 1

Later at night, Eda had told Luz everything she needed to know about watching the house and the consequences if something happened. King was going along with her for an extra set of eyes and hands, but that worked out better for Luz.

"Alright kid, bye!" Eda said before she flew off with King on her staff.

Luz waved goodbye to them for a moment, watching as they disappeared over the horizon before looking to the side of the house.

"Alright, they're gone!" Luz said, smiling a bit.

On the side of the house, Gus and Willow popped out from two bushes created by plant magic. Now dawning more casual clothes instead of their school uniforms.

"Are you sure it's clear?" Willow asked.

"Yeah, it's all clear. And don't worry about Hooty, he won't say anything if it means costing him someone to talk to." Luz said.

"She's right, I am surprisingly lonely." Hooty said as the trio entered the owl house.

'Not that surprising' Luz thought, finding Hooty a bit creepy at times but he had a good heart or hearts?

Once inside, Luz gave them a quick run down of the living room like how it was actually living with the walls moving as Hooty breathes.

"Fascinating." Willow said, looking at the walls.

"That is so cool." Gus commented, looking through a treasure chest of human trinkets and human remains. "Even the bones in a human bucket!"

Luz chuckled at him before turning to Willow.

"So, what's the deal with the conjuring? How does it work?" Luz asked.

"Well, first we need to pick something that we want to bring to life. Something meaningful and memorable." Willow said as she looked towards a beautiful house plant.

"Like this?" Gus asked, holding out a toy.

It was a strangely buff dark skinned man with his hair in a ponytail and wearing a red shirt with gray tight pants.

"Beef Boy?" Luz asked, reading the words on the toy's shirt.

"I don't know, Gus." Willow said with some hesitation, looking to the plant. "How about we put it to a vote?"

Then he gave her the sad eyes, like an abandoned animal on the streets begging to be loved. He even added a small whimper and quivering lip, he really wanted to bring the toy to life.

"No puppy eyes, Gus. It does nothing for me. We're still voting." Luz said with a straight lip.

The Purge once again made Luz numb to something, making her even more of a monster than a human. Willow on the other hands, wasn't as she was trying to look away and had a hard time resisting the puppy eyes.

"Mmm...okay. We can use the doll." Willow said, giving into Gus.

"Figurine. And YES!" Gus cheered with his hands up.

Luz rolled her eyes at this, discovering Willow's weak resolve to saying no to Gus.

'She's too easy with Gus but whatever, I still get to see what this ritual can do.' Luz thought as they moved to set everything up.

They sat in a triangle formation with a drawn circle on the floor, candles lit, and the buff toy laying in the middle

"According to the books I've read, we need to say the incantation and make a connection with the doll." Willow said as they all held hands and closed their eyes.

"Is no one going to tell me what the incantation is?" Luz asked, reminding them she was new to this more than them.

"Oh, sorry, Luz. We got so excited, we forgot." Willow said before looking to Luz. "I'll tell it to you quickly."

Luz leaned in and Willow whispered the incantation into her ear. If she said it out loud like this, it might set off the spell before they were ready.

"Alright, let's do this." Luz said, nodding and ready.

The trio held their hands together and shut their eyes, focusing on the chant and on the figurine.

"Moonlight we call, we sing. Moonlight take this chance. Moonlight come tie the string. Moonlight start the dance!" Willow, Gus, and Luz said perfect unison as their bodies began to glow white with Moon Magic.

There was something happening though, something they didn't realize as the air began rushing around them and all the candles suddenly blew out. They opened their eyes and the action figure was still lifeless on the ground, even though they felt the spell took effect.

"Did... did it not work?"" Luz asked in confusion.

"It should've." Willow said, looking down at the toy.

"Then why isn't it moving?" Gus asked, the most upset about this.

Suddenly, the ground and the house began to shake.

"Whoa?!" Luz let out as she almost fell back. "I think the spell did work on something!"

The trio slowly got up as the ground shook again, rushing to the door of the house. They opened the door and nearly fell off the front step as they saw the house was suddenly standing on two chicken legs!

"Hoooot." Hooty said, a bit creepy as he began walking away.

"Hooty, what the hell?!" Luz shouted in shock.

Everyone looked to the door and saw that house demon in the door had glowing white eyes, moon magic coursing through his veins as the spell worked on the house and him.

"Is he in some kind of trance!?" Willow asked.

"I don't know but whatever it is, it's not good!" Luz shouted as she looked up to Hooty. "Hooty! Stop and turn around now!"

The owl demon didn't listened as he continued to walk, no destination or location in mind. He just wants to walk, no matter what was in his path. Trees, boulders, animals; nothing was going to stop him but the movement seemed to knock Luz off the step before Willow and Gus had to grab her hands to save her. It wouldn't do much good as they were approaching a cliff and would plummet into the boiling sea.

"Hooty! Stop!" everyone shouted!