Chapter 12

Your pov

Today is game day and more importantly it's the day I plan to ask Mallory to marry me. Jill and the rest of the team already know what's going on and I plan to do It around halftime.

We are currently getting ready to board the bus to head to the stadium.

"Hey Mal can I steal Y/n on the ride there?" Asks Tobin

"Since Tobin is ditching me, I'll steal you." Says Christen wrapping her arms around Mal. We all board the bus, Mal and Christen are three or four rows ahead of us and out of reach.

"So what's the game plan?" Asks Tobin

"I haven't fully figured out how I'm gonna actually do It but I wanna do It at half time." I say

"Well I'm sure  It will be amazing no matter what you decide to do." She says

"Thanks Tobs, the only thing I'm worried about is her saying no to me in front of thousands of people and that's just people in the stadium! Not everyone watching It at home." I say softly

"Y/n you're crazy to think she's gonna say no to you. Think of everything you've gone through together. I think if she didn't love you she wouldn't have stayed this long. Even when you were gone for 3 years and we thought you were gone forever. She never gave up on you. None of us did." She says

"I guess that's a fair point." I say

Our conversation got cut off as we arrived at the stadium. We get out and head inside and go to the locker room. All of our gear for the game was laid out in our assigned lockers and we started to get ready.

Alright Ladies! We're up against New Zealand today. They may not be our toughest opponents but we shouldn't get comfortable and think we just have It in the bag. I've already spoken to the people starting today. We will probably make some changes at the half if I feel like we need too. Just play your best and make me proud." Says Jill

"Y/n please meet me in my office." Says Jill before going to her office. I get up and and follow her to the office and she closes the door, I'm guessing so no one else can hear our conversation.

"I just wanted to touch base with you, do you feel good enough to start today?" She asks

"I haven't felt this good in a while. I think I'm ready." I say

"It's a big day for you, not just the proposal but you're finally back after the trial and your surgery." She says

"I'm ready to be back." I say

"I'm happy to hear It. Do you have a plan for how you are going to propose?" She asks

"I haven't fully thought It out. I want to do It at half time so It doesn't stop the game. I thought about going down right as the whistle blows and I'm hoping she'll come over to check on me and that's when I'll pop up with the ring." I say

"Im sure she will be one of the first ones to you. She's also starting so that shouldn't be a problem." She says

"Thank you so much for your help. I'm hoping she has no idea what's going to happen." I say

We have about 5 minutes before we head to the field, I'm sure you have last minute things you need to do. Says Jill opening the door. I get up and head back to my locker.

"Everything okay babe?" Asks Mal coming over to me.

"Yep! Jill just wanted to double check to make sure I'm okay to start." I said pulling my hair tie out and flipping my hair so I can put It in a tighter pony tail.

"You nervous?" She asks

"A little bit. I feel ready though and knowing you'll be on the field with me helps a lot. I say

"You'll do great. You worked your ass off to get here and I'm so proud of you." She says hugging me and I hug her back.

"You know I did have an amazing girl supporting me and loving me through It all." I say

"Well she sounds lucky." She says

"Luckiest girl in the world." I say smiling at her

"Alright ladies! Time to take the field, let's get in our lines." Says Jill before turning to me.
"Y/n your captain today." She finishes as she hands me the captain arm band and our flag.

"Wait really?" I ask

"Yes really." She says smiling

"Here let me help you out It on real quick." Says Mal as she takes the hand putting It on my arm making sure it's tight but not to tight.

"Thanks babe" I say softly.

I head to the front of the line and all of a sudden I felt more pressure then I had before. I close my eyes and take a deep breath and walk out leading the team. The crowd was already cheering super loud. I meet New Zealand's captain along with the rest of the refs in the middle of the field. We trade flags and shake hands and decide who starts off with the ball. I jog back to the bench and we do a quick huddle before taking the field.

*Time skip to the 44th minute*

2 minutes got added onto the clock and we were winning with the score of 2-0, both goals ended up being own goals.

We we're currently pressing on New Zealand's side again. JJ had the ball and I was on the right side and in the open. I raised my hand up and thankfully she saw It. She passed the ball and the defender slide to knock the ball out of bounds to stop my run. The whistle blows as I fell over and of course Mal was one of the first ones to me.  I took the time to undo my brace a bit so I could pull the ring out of it and I held It in my hand while Mal ran over to me.

"Babe are you okay?" She asks putting her hand on my shoulder.

"Yeah I'm okay" I say sitting up and getting on one knee.

"Oh my god Y/n!" She says

Mallory Diane Pugh will you marry me?  I ask

"Of course! A million times yes!" she says and I slide the ring on her finger and she pulls me up and hugs me tightly. I hug her back and the stadium was going crazy. The rest of the team comes over hugs us and after that we head to the locker room.

I was getting subbed out since they didn't want to push me on my first game back, I'm happy I was able to get a full half in plus Mal said yes and that's all that matters to me.

Mal gave me her ring to keep safe since she was still going to play in the second half.  We headed back out to the field and I sat down next to Ash for the remainder of the game. Mal took her ring back as soon as she got off and came straight over to me.

The final ended up being 5-0. Mal scored in the 93rd minute and the game ended after that. We headed back to the locker room to pack up and get back on the bus.

"The proposal is already trending on Twitter." Says Kelley showing her phone.

"Wow" I say

We head back to the hotel and we take turns showering and we decided to watch some Greys Anatomy since we had some time kill before dinner.

__________________________________
I'm so sorry for the lack of updates! I'm in the middle of moving out of my apartment so there may not be any updates in the next week or two. I will try to update if I can during that time. Expect updates more often starting in July though since I'll have more time to write and update! Thanks!