I Have a Slight Addiction

No one wants work on the last day of summer vacation, and yet, here I am, shelving books in the local library for minimum wage. The walls seem to tower over me, suffocating me as the worn out air conditioner tries to cool the stuffy library. There are only six people in the library, four of which are workers.

I mean, I can't blame the community of West Brook. It was the last day of summer why would they be in this forsakenly hot library?

Dorothea, the aged, but sweet worker behind the checkout desk smiles at me with her glasses perched on the end of her nose. "Sweetie, what in the world are you doing here on this beautiful day?"

I roll my eyes at her, knowing she'll get a kick out of it. "My mother said I should try to get one more full day in before school starts."

Aimee, the college intern at the library for the summer, came around the nonfiction section with a stack of books in her hands. I loved Aimee to death. She wasn't from West Brook - she actually came from one of the big cities. And with her came the taste of adventure that I so craved. Working with her all summer had been a blast and I'm sad to see her internship will be over in just two short weeks.

"Gemma, babe, go enjoy your last day. There's no one here." Aimee joined Dorothea behind the desk, setting the books down for the older lady to log.

I look at Dorothea hopefully. "Can I, Dorothea?"

Instantly my mind floods with all the things I can do on this last day of summer. I mean, if I went home now I could put in an entire season of 'Sherlock' before it was even lunch time - yes, yes, it was early in the morning.

Or I could just sleep for a few hours. Paint my nails. Clean out my closet. I guess, I could call my friends, but they would probably want to be social.

Gosh, no wonder I'm in a library on the last day of summer. I sound like an old lady who can't be in sunlight and doesn't leave her house.

Dorothea smiles at me toothily. "Dear, go have fun. I won't mention it to your mom."

The last day of summer - mine at last.

***

When I get home I immediately change into a pair of high waist shorts that are black and my favorite Nirvana shirt that has the sleeves cut off. I grab my phone and a bag of peach rings off of my bed and make my way downstairs to the TV room.

I'm so busy trying to decide on which 'Sherlock' episode to start that I don't even notice my brother Clive enter the room with his keys in hand and dressed in a wet suit with a t-shirt on top.

Clive is actually my twin. Annoying as hell most of the time, but my best friend none the less.

"Gemma? I thought mom was making you work today?"

I roll my eyes. "Yeah, uhuh. I'm not working on the last day of summer."

Clive eyes the TV screen. "But you're spending it in front of the TV ogling Benedict Cumberbatch?"

I huff. "I do not like the tone with which you stated that. I feel immensely judged right now."

Clive laughs. "That's because I am judging you."

I scoff up at him. "You don't see me judging you for your obsessive behavior towards 'Breaking Bad'."

He rolls his eyes. "That's different. I don't obsess over any of the actors. Or their wife. Or their soon to be baby."

I laugh. "Clive, you don't obsess over any of the actors, yes, but you do obsess over characters. And they're fictional. So, I think I win here."

"Whatever." He ran a hand through his hair. "Why don't you go surfing with me?"