I Feel He's Doing It For My Benefit

As soon as Clive and I arrive at Snuffy's, Eddie appears next to me and pulls me to the back of the Diner. I protest, struggling against his grip on my arm, but he succeeds in pulling me into the alcove near the bathrooms.

"Eddie! What the hell?" I glare at him, rubbing my arm where he'd been gripping.

He's scowling, which surprises me. How could he go from laughing on the phone to giving me such a cold look in less than half an hour?

Eddie takes hold of my shoulders, turning me to face him square on. "Stay away from Larkin."

"What?" I am so confused I can't even begin to process the command he just gave me.

Eddie's hands tighten on my shoulders. "Gemma..." His voice is low. "Stay away from Larkin."

"Eddie, what are you talking about? There's nothing between us. Not even friendship. I feel nothing for him except obvious annoyance. He's a total prick."

Eddie's grip loosens significantly, but he doesn't let go completely. "Please, Gemma, I don't trust him. Not in this way... not with you."

"What way?"

"Gemma! Eddie! We're ordering!" Clive calls from the restaurant part of the diner.

I break free from Eddie's loose grip and make my way to the table that everyone is sitting around. As I leave the alcove and head for the table, I push away Eddie's strange behavior. He's obviously just being protective. Maybe even jealous. I don't know.

I take the empty seat between Olive and Clive. As I pick up my menu to find what I want, I glance in the direction of Larkin.

His blue eyes are watching me steadily. He smirks at me and I feel my stomach fill with that damn herd of buffalo again. My eyes flicker to Eddie.

He's watching us, his eyes flickering between me and Larkin suspiciously.
I feel confusion come across me once again. What happened between them? I give Eddie a questioning gaze, but he only shakes his head and looks away, down at his menu.

***

After we've finished at Snuffy's we go back to our house, but the entire gang comes too. My friends, Clive's friends and then Larkin as well. Our parents aren't home because it's their custom to go on a date the first night we have back to school. Don't ask me why, I have no clue.

We all file into the TV room and sit in various spots, getting comfy almost instantly. Clive heads for the movie cabinet and turns on the TV.

"What to watch?" He asks.

"Oooh! Sherlock!" I squeal form my spot on the couch next to Eddie. Seriously, I never get tired of that show.

Eddie wrinkles his nose and squints his eyes cutely. "But, Gem," he whines playfully, "We always watch that."

I roll my eyes, looking away. My gaze falls on Larkin who's smiling from where he sits right next to the couch in a lazy boy rocker. I'm confused as usual when it comes to Larkin, but then he starts humming under his breath. No one notices him because they're all busy discussing what we should watch.

I lean closer to distinguish what it is Larkin's humming since I feel he's doing it for my benefit.

Oh. My. Gosh.

He's humming the Sherlock theme song! I almost freak, but then I remember who this is: Larkin Knight, boy I made out with while being drunk. I sigh, leaning back and resting next to Eddie, who's laughing.

His chest vibrates against my side that's resting against him. "What about you, Gemma?"

I look at him, not really processing his words. "What are the options?"

He looks at me funnily. "Didn't you just hear them?"

I shake my head, biting my lip nervously. "Sorry, must have zoned out."

Eddie smiles and tilts his head toward me, chuckling. "Oh, okay. We're deciding between watching some New Girl and then, Perks of Being a Wallflower."

I groan. "But they're both so good."

Eddie laughs again. "I know, Gem, I know."

I glance back over to Larkin, but he's no longer smiling or rather, smirking, at me. He's talking to Olive, laughing with her about something.

What did I expect? What did I want?