Those Knight Boys

Alise Davies doesn't live near a beach like Wesley Mathers. Rather, she lives in the heart of a residential area and therefore I'm, sure the authorities will be called before the end of the night and long before the end of the party. Then again, I hope to be long gone before any of that happens because I sure as hell cant afford to be caught.

When Clive and I arrive at the party the music is already thumping out of her house, making the windows rattle somewhat from the bass. Clive hops out of the jeep and looks at me expectantly, but I don't move to leave. "You coming?" He asks.

I shake my head. "Not yet, but in a little I'll come. I need to wait for the opportune time."

Clive looks at me funnily and slides back into the jeep, closing the door behind him. "You wanna tell me what's going on? I mean, you're at a party, you're dressed rather... hotly and yet you stay in the car. Gem, you can tell me what's up. I'm on your side no matter what."

I shrug. He may as well know. True, Eddie is like a brother to him, but I am his twin and he'll always be on my side. "I don't really... like being with Eddie. It's fine, but that's it. I don't feel bubbles or happiness. I feel excited when we kiss, but I believe that's just hormones. The thing is, I don't want to break up with him without significant reason."

Clive nods. "That makes some sense, but at the same time you shouldn't lead him on."

"I don't think I am. See, he's not super happy either. At least, that's the vibe I'm getting. I believe he's at this party and when I find him I think I'll find him flirting and dancing and doing who knows what else with some other girl."

"Oh, Gem." Clive looks sad, but to be honest, the thought of Eddie being with another girl doesn't even bother me and I know it should. And because it doesn't just gives more reason for me to not be with him.

I shake my head. "It's okay, really. I'm not hurt by the prospect. In fact, I kind of want him to be lying to me. Then, like I said, I can break up with him with a clear conscience."

Clive shakes his head, smiling. "You are so weird, sis."

I shrug. "Can't fight it so I embrace it."

Clive moves to leave. "Hey, Gem?"

"Yeah?"

"Be careful when you go in there tonight. If I think you look nice tonight I can only imagine what all the other males in there will think once they see you. I don't want you hurt. Come to me as soon as you're ready to go home, yeah?"

I smile. "Course, brother dear."

***

About half an hour later I close out of the episode of 'Sherlock' I was watching on my phone and compose myself. Then, I climb out of the car and begin walking to Alise's house. As soon as I enter the front door I see people do double takes of me. They're probably wondering why I'm at the party since I'm usually at the library.

I ignore them and make a beeline for the living room where I spot Olive. She's talking to some red headed guy that looks like a total hipster. I walk straight up and smile at her. She ignores me, the nerve. She's so enamored with him that I have to clear my throat and lean towards her so that she finally looks my way.

"Gemma!" She looks so surprised to see me, which I don't even muster the energy to feel offended by.

"Olive, what's up?"

"Oh my gosh, who did your hair and makeup?" She begins fawning over me.

I cringe. "I did."

Olive glances back at hipster-boy and smiles. "Oh, hey, this is Curtis."

I smile at him briefly, not really wasting much time on it. "Hi, nice to meet you. O, is Mace here?" Clearly, I wasn't going to be having her full attention since Mr. Hipster here was going to be preoccupying her mind.

Olive smiles. "Yeah, she's in the kitchen."

"Which is...?"

Olive points behind me and I turn to follow the hallway that leads to the kitchen. Macey's there with some of Clive's friends, Wesley and Peter among them.

Macey smiles at me. "Hey, babe, you look hot."

I roll my eyes. "Hi," I say and then cut to the chase, "have any of you seen Eddie?"

Wesley, who hasn't taken his eyes off of me, is quick to answer it, which should make me suspicious, but it doesn't. "Yeah, he's upstairs in the first bedroom."

In the back of my mind the question begs to be asked, why is he in a bedroom?

In a somewhat daze I walk upstairs, my boots clacking against the wooden steps. When I reach the first bedroom I pause, a wave of nerves coming on. Would Eddie really sink that low? Wouldn't he just fess up and admit he wasn't happy. I mean, it hasn't even been a week!

My hand rests on the doorknob and I twist it, pushing open the door slowly. Originally, if something like this was going to happen I had planned on pushing down doors and causing a scene, but now I'm wondering if it would be better to just quietly see what's going on. I've never really been one to cause a scene, so why start now?

I crack the door and peer inside. The room is dim, but I can still see him clearly. He doesn't have a shirt on and he's with some girl. I don't recognize her and I think she must be from a different school. They're busy kissing and I try to shut the door but for some reason I'm frozen.

I should be happy. I'm not happy with Eddie and the fact that he isn't either should make me happy. But for some reason I still feel hurt. Why couldn't he just be honest and tell me? Seriously, since when did he become such a clichéd ass of a player?

"Gemma?" I snap the shut door and cringe at the loud sound it makes as I spin to see the person who said my name.

Larkin.

I scowl, knowing that I only had seconds before the girl or, more likely, Eddie would come to see who had been watching them. I push past Larkin and make a beeline down the stairs, pushing past a couple passionately wrapped in each other on the stairs. How the heck did they get there so fast? They weren't there two minutes ago?!

The air around me becomes so suffocating suddenly. I push outside onto the sidewalk, knowing that it was a huge mistake to come to this party. Unfortunately, Larkin is right behind me, his shirt rumpled and his hair sticking up. Gee, I wonder what he was up to.

I whirl on him. "What the hell do you want, Larkin?"

His face becomes slightly confused. "I was just... you looked like you were about to cry. What did you see?"

"It doesn't matter what I saw and it's none of your business." I cross my arms, biting my lip and holding back the sting that's come to my eyes all of a sudden.

Why would Eddie cheat? It's so ridiculous. And do unlike him.

"Gemma, are you alright?" Larkin genuinely looks concerned but I honestly don't care. I'm hurting when I should be happy and he seems a likely target for my hate.

"Why are you still here, Larkin? Go back to f*cking with some random girl." I can't believe the words are out of my mouth, but once they are his face falls some and his jaw clenches. "That's what you're always doing isn't it? You sleep around and mess with girls' feelings? God, maybe that's why Eddie's such an ass. He's taking after you."

Emotions flit across Larkin's face as I seethe at him. First there's hurt and annoyance, but then, there's a clarity mixed with understanding. "You saw Eddie, didn't you?"

"I told you it wasn't you business. Now please, go back to what you were doing. I don't need pity, especially from you, Larkin."

Larkin shakes his head, biting down on his lip ring. "Why can't you see what I am? What I..." He shakes his head. "Never mind, Gemma. I'll see you tomorrow."

Rather than going back to the house Larkin starts walking down the side walk and I'm not sure what to do.

God, these Knight boys sure do annoy the hell out of me.