He Changed My Mind

I don't actually know where Larkin is taking me and he refuses to give me even a hint. I've been interrogating him during the entire car ride, but he hasn't budged an inch. "Can you at least tell me if we're eating food?" I ask, giving his hand that's holding mine a slight squeeze.

Larkin wears the same smirk he's been wearing since we left my house. "Nope, not a chance."

I roll my eyes. "Please? What about if it's an active thing?"

Larkin arches an eyebrow, giving me a skeptical look. "Gem, babe, don't you think I know you? Active isn't really your forte."

I laugh. "You know me so well... Which means you'll also know I'm not giving up on the interrogating until we get there or you cave. I'm thinking you'll cave first."

He laughs. "Wrong. We're at the first stop."

I look out the window of his car and crane my neck to see where we are. It's one of the best places we could be: the frozen yogurt shop. I smile back at Larkin. "You really do know me."

"This is only the first stop, mind you. But I knew we'd be hungry so I thought we could stop here." He climbs out of the car and before I can even unbuckle he's opening my door for me. Honestly, this guy... how did I keep myself from him for so long?

We make our froyos and climb back in the car before he's off again, driving us to who knows where. We eat our yogurt and sing along to the radio which is blaring loudly as the wind pulses through the car windows.

The sun is setting and we keep driving and talking and singing and simply being together. I'm pretty sure I could keep like this forever.

I realize, twenty minutes later that we're leaving West Brook and going into another town. "Lark, where are we headed?"

He smiles at me, his dimples deepening. "Lark?"

I shrug. "Do you like it?"

He shakes his head, biting his lip ring. "Yeah, it's fine... It's nice. I like it."

I smile and feel a yawn coming on. "Can I take a nap?"

He shrugs. "Yeah, it won't be too long though."

I'm already asleep, pressed against him within seconds, wondering how I'd never found this place before.

***

"Gem, babe, we're here." Larkin is gently shaking me and I smile up at him, alert almost immediately, but not really wanting to move away from him.

"Where is 'here'?" I ask.

"Why don't you look and see."

I sit up and unbuckle, looking out the window to see... The Crary Museum. I do a double take and then look at Larkin, smiling excitedly. "Are we really here? At the Crary? But you need tickets..."

Larkin smiles. "Yeah, I know. That's why I have these. "He pulls two tickets from inside his pocket and waves them at me.

I snatch one and read it: November 19, 8:30 PM, Final Showing of the Year, VIP.

"How did you get these?! This is the last time they show the art from this year! It's the last time they're open before the show that I'm in! That's in March!"

Larkin is practically beaming, beside himself with pride. "Let's just say Laurene was very, very happy to pull some strings when it came to surprising you. She said that you haven't been up since this year's art was originally displayed."

I jump out of the car and find myself jumping up and down. "Larkin!" I suddenly realize something. "Why didn't you warn me? This should be dressed up occasion! People will see us!"

He makes a funny face. "Oh? Didn't I mention that we were... you know, getting a private showing?"

I look at him, eyes wide. "How. The. Hell!? What the crap, Lark. How did you manage that?"

He smiling so big that I fear his dimples will stay there forever. "Laurene was the winner of the adult category last year and she told me she could do it. She did." He waves the tickets as if to show for proof.

I smile up at him, knowing that this is the best date ever and that he, Larkin Knight, is the best boyfriend.

***

After the private viewing, Larkin drives us home and I somehow manage to keep awake the entire way. Maybe it's the stars outside or the fresh air in my lungs. Or maybe it's his hand, wrapped around mine or his lips that press against my temple every once in a while, just to remind me of the love that I have, that I'm capable of having for him and receiving from him.

Maybe, just maybe, it's because I'm not better off alone. I'm far better off with Larkin and I don't think anyone or anything can ever change my mind of that. It's not the grand gesture of getting me a private showing at the Crary that changed my mind.

It was him. He changed my mind about my theories of being better off alone.

And boy, am I glad he did.