So... We Aren't In Trouble?

Sadly, when we arrive home our parents are waiting for us, sitting on the couch with stern expressions. Clive and I exchange a look of brief regret and then I push it away, not caring if I'm punished for skipping school. It was all worth it.

My father motions to the chairs on the other side of the living room. "Sit. Both of you."

Clive and I sit without hesitating and face our parents, but don't say anything. I know that when the time comes to speak to them I will be the one to talk. As long as I can remember, whenever Clive and I were in trouble, I would give them the explanation and he would remain silent. It was how we worked. But for now, I remain silent.

My mother looks at us for a long moment and then presses on. "The school called this afternoon."

Still, we say nothing.

"Do you care to guess why?" My father asks, his voice slightly sarcastic.

I shrug. "Because we're making the honor roll?"

They don't look amused. "Gemma, this is serious. Why did the both of you skip school today?"

Clive speaks up before I can and this surprises me. "Gemma needed a day off and I forced her to skip with me."

My father, it seems, is surprised too. "Oh? And why would she need that?"

I look at Clive, waiting for him to answer. He does, rather quickly. "Gemma is practically perfect in every way. 'Course, I'm her twin so I would think that, wouldn't I? But seriously, she's always trying hard on her school work and she's brilliant in art. She's never skipped school and she needed a break. She was having a hard time - a hard weekend. She needed the break."

My parents exchange a confused glance. I really don't want them to know about Larkin and I'm not sure they know about Eddie. My mom implores about just that. "Is something wrong? Does this have to do with why Eddie left early from family dinner?"

I shrug. "Sort of... I don't think we'll be seeing Eddie for a few weeks, not around the house least."

"And why is that, Gemmie?" My parents look genuinely concerned.

"We... just don't work well together in...that way." Even though I was hurt by how things went down, I can't ruin the image my parents have of Eddie. He's held too high in their eyes. He's the perfect example of a young man and I can't take that from them.

My mom frowns. "Oh, well... I see."

Clive clears his throat. "Are we... in trouble?"

My parents both smile somewhat, knowing we've changed their minds just as usual. "We know," says my dad, "that you kids are smart. We understand that you're teenagers. This is something that just happens, but in future, just give us a call before the school does. You're not in trouble, but don't make this a habit."

***

It's strange to be working on a day that I skipped school, but nonetheless I find myself behind the check-out counter of West Brook Public Library at six o'clock. The library is actually kind of busy, considering it's a Monday night in West Brook. There's about ten people here (yes, that's considered 'busy'), none of them needing my help.

There aren't any books for me to shelve so I busy myself by scrolling through Twitter, trying to find out all the gossip of celebrities. That lasts for about five minutes and then I sit there, watching the people in the library like a creep. The minutes tick by and I wait for closing, which is at eight o'clock.

I almost fall asleep, but then, I'm hearing my name being called. I look up to see him. Of all the damn people in the world I had to see Larkin Knight.

What's that quote from 'Casablanca' - "of all the gin joints in the world, she walked into mine?" Well, of all the libraries in the world, he walks into mine.

"Gemma." He repeats.

"What the hell do you want, Larkin?" I lean back in the chair I'm sitting in and cross my arms.

"I want to talk to you." He leans down, his arms propping him up on the counter space in front of me.

"Well, you lost that chance this morning." I busy myself my pretending to do something on the computer, but really, I'm just distracting myself.

"Gem, please."

"No, Larkin. Don't 'Gem, please' me. I'm sick of this. I'm sick of the fact that you kissed me and then you went on like it didn't even happen." I never realized how hard it is to not yell in the library.

Larkin's jaw clenches and I can see the tendons in his arms tightening as well. "Gemma, you can't pretend like the kiss meant something."

On the contrary: it meant a great deal of Something to me.

"Larkin, just leave me alone."

"Gemma, you don't like me. You told me yourself that dating wasn't in your equation." He fixes me with a look.

I roll my eyes. "Dating isn't in your equation either, is it? How would I refer to your types as? Hm, let's see, disposable. You use people. You used me."

Larkin leans in quickly and when he speaks his voice is harsh, but low. "Listen, Gemma, I don't chase girls and I don't chase you. Sorry, but I don't work that way."

I smirk, unsure what else to do. "Well, listen, Larkin. I don't give a damn. Now please, leave me alone."

***

The next day at school I completely ignore the strange looks I get from other students. I can't believe they know about the wedding and the whole damn situation with Larkin. Even more than that, I completely ignore the existence of Larkin during seventh period English. But he doesn't seem to notice. He's too busy flirting with Cassia Langley.

Already, another girl, another conquest.

As soon as English is over I walk to the arts rooms and hope to find Laurene. Sure enough, she's there, preparing some clay on a wheel.

"Gemma, hon. Where were you yesterday?" She wipes her hands on her apron and stands with me.

I roll my eyes, hoping she's not angry. "I skipped school."

"Gemma!" She exclaims, excited. "I'm so proud of you! You're actually living!"

I laugh; glad to be happy about something. "Yeah, I suppose I am."

She taps her temple, as if remembering something all of a sudden. "I've gotten a letter about the Crary Art Competition."

"Oh? Do they want you to compete again? What, haven't you won the past seven years for California?" I nudge Laurene playfully.

She looks at me and rolls her eyes, blushing some. "No, silly, they want you to be in it. I showed the Californian committee your work from the summer and they absolutely loved it. They want you to submit three pieces at state level and if you win, at national. This means you have the potential to win and study in France for six months to a year!"

I literally freeze. This is too much to comprehend in one day. I have been chosen to compete in one of the most prestigious art competitions of the country? The Crary Art Foundation is one of the best institutes for art. The Crary museum in California is the most prestigious art museum. And my work is going to be displayed there? And then, possibly chosen to go to the national level?

Laurene is smiling. "So, what do you say? Do you accept?"

I laugh, far beyond excited. "Do I accept?! Of course I do!"