Today's His Day To Shine

One Month Later

I knock on Clive's door and push it open, simultaneously. He's sitting on his bed, already dressed in his wet suit. I smile at him and he gives me a nervous smile back.

"How are ya, Clive?"

He shrugs. "I'm all right. Just a little nervous."

I sit next to him on the bed. "You have nothing to be nervous about. The scout will see how truly gifted and talented you are when it comes to surfing. Trust me, Clive. You're the best I've ever seen."

He laughs, but it's still nervous. "I guess you haven't seen that many."

"I'm not kidding, Clive. You're really, really, really, really good. I know you'll get the professional opening. Now, let's get you to the beach, alright?"

We climb in the jeep and start the drive to the beach. I try to calm his nerves by talking about school and how graduation is only two months away, but Clive only nods, not really listening to me. I know he'll be fine because he really is phenomenal when it comes to surfing.

Clive didn't tell anyone about the scout coming because he didn't want to be showy or seem over confident in his skills. He thought that to promote the coming of the scout would be self-advertising and selfish, but I knew better. I called Macey and had her advertise it through the channels of the school and I also told our parents because they deserved to know.

So when we arrive at the beach we come to see people standing on the shore, laughing and partying and celebrating the achievement of Clive. Even if he doesn't become professional - and he will - this moment right here is achievement enough to be proud of and reason to celebrate.

Clive looks at me, shocked. "What is everyone doing here?"

I shrug. "I thought you could use some support... Clive, I want you to know I'm proud of you. I couldn't ask for a better best friend, a better brother, a better twin. You're the person I know I can count on and I am okay with that because there is no one better for me to be stuck with. Okay? I'm proud of you and I know you'll be amazing out on the waves."

"Thanks, Gemmie. That... That means a lot." He reaches out and I hug him, knowing that he really is the best brother.

"Now, go show this scout all you've got, okay?"

We both climb out of the jeep and find our parents, waiting near us. They both smile at us and give Clive encouraging looks. "Clive, you've already made us proud," Our dad says, clapping Clive on the back in that guyish way.

My mom hugs him and kisses his cheek. "You'll be amazing, honey. Don't be nervous."

The four of us edge onto the beach and everyone seems to turn towards us at once. They start cheering and I look over to see Clive laugh, surprised and humbled by the outcome of people. Simon walks over with another man and introduces him. "This is David Nawaki and he's the scout here to watch you."

I take that as my cue to fade into the background and find my friends. I find them right near the shore, sitting on the sand and laughing away the day. Eddie smiles up at me, handing me a coke. "How's Clive?"

I smile. "Surprised by everyone... He's a little nervous, but he's with the scout and Simon now."

Dean pats the sand next to him and I take a seat between him and Olive, who's holding a bowl of cantaloupe out for me. I take a slice and bite into it. "Hey, so you're all coming on Monday night? To the Crary?"

All of them nod and Macey says, "Duh, like we'd miss it."

I smile, rolling my eyes. "Just making sure."

Dean points over down the shore some. "There's Clive, getting out there."

We all watch Clive wade into the ocean and slowly, but surely, he rides the waves out on his stomach, his board with him. I catch a glimpse of his face and see it relaxed, as if the touch of the salt water just oozed all thoughts of worry and nerves out of him. He takes his time, becoming one with his thoughts and the movement of the waves.

There's a silence that covers the crowd as Clive prepares and I notice everyone is watching attentively.

Clive moves steadily through the choppy waves and I see the sun reflecting off his suit. As a large wave begins to come towards him he gracefully stands on his board and then he's riding it, moving along its edge expertly. He rides the wave until finally, it gives out below him, but even then he doesn't fall. The crowd bursts into cheers and shouts of encouragement.

I look over to see the scout nodding, still watching Clive. Simon stands next to him, explaining something with his hands. I smile, knowing Simon is going to be telling the scout everything good about Clive's surfing abilities.

Another wave comes towards Clive, the crowd becomes silent and this time he does a few tricks that I didn't even know he could do. The scout looks impressed, I think, but then again, I can't see him too well. Simon is still talking next to him, explaining away.

I am standing, nerves tensing my spine. Dean stands next to me and smiles. "Hey, relax. It's okay. He's doing amazing."

I smile, grateful that I have Dean as a friend. I was afraid I'd lost him when I told him about Larkin, but he's still always around me, helping me and making me laugh. "Thanks, Dean. I know..." I look back out and as I do the breath in my throat catches. The wave coming at Clive is huge and I even wonder if he'll be able to ride it. The crowd seems to realize the wave will be a challenge and they become deathly silent.

Clive readies himself and I watch as the wave comes tumbling at him. And then, Clive does something I didn't even think was possible. He closes his eyes just as the wave reaches him. But he doesn't fall. He rides the wave and it's as if the wave is following his lead. The wave is moving under his will and he is telling it how to move beneath him.

As the wave dies down I see Clive gracefully come back, paddling to shore. The scout is saying something to Simon and he's smiling, shaking the scout's hand. Clive comes onto shore and everyone cheers as he goes to meet the scout. The scout tells him a few things and then walks away, leaving a smiling Clive. I rush through the crowd and reach my brother, hugging him.

He laughs and picks me up, spinning me around. "I did it!" He hollers.
I laugh as he puts me down and I hug him again. "Clive, I'm so proud of you! I thought you were insane for closing your eyes, but you did it! I'm so proud of you!"

Others swarm him and I let them get their chance to congratulate him as I fade into the background. Today's his day to shine and maybe I'll have mine on Monday. Maybe not. Either way I know it'll all turn out okay.

After all, we have each other.

~~~

A/N:
Some kinda sad news: there will only be like three more updates.... And then Better Off Alone is done! So idk it's kind of bittersweet 😌

Please vote and comment!!!!!

Love always, Samantha <3