Only Leads To Disapointment

I never knew that an assembly could last so long. It seems like Principle Ohrn knew I was dying as I sat two feet away from the only boy I'd ever snogged and next to a boy I had a small crush on.

Yes, Eddie.

He was hard not to crush on. He flirted with any girl and was charming. I'm not sure I would actually date him since it would most likely end in an epic fail, but he was a steady crush of mine. We liked each other, but like I said it probably wouldn't go as we wished.

Larkin kept shooting me glances through the assembly and I tried to avoid his gaze, but as it is almost the end, I make the mistake of looking at him. He gives me a smirk that says he remembers me. He remembers every damn second of that wedding night, I'm sure of it.

Frick. Frickety. Frick.

"Students, please make your way to first period in an orderly fashion."

I stand up as soon as we're dismissed and try to squeeze past Eddie, past Larkin, but Eddie's hand snakes around my wrist just as I'm in front of Larkin, stopping me in my tracks.

Olive and Macey are giving me weird looks and so is Eddie. "What's wrong?" He asks.

I shoot a look at Olive and Macey, begging for help. Luckily, Olive shoots up from her seat. "We just want to run to the bathroom before first period. See you boys later."

Macey and Olive usher me out of the assembly and walk me straight into the nearest handicap bathroom, locking it behind us as we enter.

Macey faces me, her eyebrow arched. "Okay. Spill, Gemma."

I heave out a sigh and shake my head. "I... Know Larkin already."

"What do you mean, know?" Olive asks, her arms crossed and her brow wrinkled.

"Uh, I, uh, may have made out with him at my cousins wedding a couple years ago." I spew the words out, hoping they'll jumble together, but of course O and Macey hear every single word.

Perfectly.

They look at me in shock. And then they both start squealing at the same time.

I can't help but roll my eyes.

They're such girls.

"Guys!" I look at them expectantly, but they only continue to squeal. Seriously, what has happened to them?

Olive finally calms down. "Okay, what was it like?"

"What was it like?! That is not the point, guys. I need your help dealing with the now. It's going to be so awkward with Eddie and him and here and us and oh my word."

Macey rolls her eyes. "Gemma, it's really not that big of a deal. So you snogged the guy. It happens all the time. We're in high school for God's sake."

The bell for first period rings and we all jump slightly. I sigh, running a hand through my tangled hair.

"Alright, let's go. I'll just talk to you guys about this later."

***

School isn't terrible. In fact, I haven't run into Larkin and it's already seventh period Honors English.

Surely, Larkin wouldn't be in that. He didn't really seem the type to read novels and discuss the finer points of literary works.

He seemed like the type that owned motorcycles, got too many tattoos-slash-piercings, slept around and burned baby dolls - just for kicks and giggles.

I slide into a seat in the back of the English room, a smile on my face and a breath of relief flowing from my lips. The late bell rings and I look around the room. Sure enough, no sight of Larkin.

But then, there he is, slinking into the room, his leather jacket slung over his arm. His t-shirt is a Nirvana t-shirt - why does he have to have good taste in music, or rather, the same as me? - and it has holes riddled through it. What did he do? Wash it with scissors? Same sorta goes for his black skinny jeans - yes, skinny - the knees have slits across them like they too were washed with scissors or something.

His eyes meet mine and I instantly feel my stomach contract as a herd of buffalos stampede through it. Why am I nervous? It's not like he's the only boy I've ever snogged while being drunk. Har, har, sarcasm.

Larkin crosses the English room, confidence in his every lazy step. The teacher, Ms. Smith, speaks to him in a perturbed tone of voice. "Mr. Knight, how kind of you to join us."

Larkin, who had been watching me, pull his gaze away and smiles charmingly at Ms. Smith, dimples appearing on the sides of his grin. "Sorry, Ms, but I'm still getting used to the new school."

Ms. Smith sighs, her eyebrows arched. "Alright, but next time be on time."

I smirk at Larkin, but he only flicks an eyebrow up at me in challenge.

Damn it, why is he so confident? I can barely even look at him without my stomach turning and my mind flashing back to the wedding reception.

Larkin slides into the seat next to mine and I try not to cringe as the smell of his spicy and somewhat sweet cologne mingles in the air around me. It's not that it smells bad, in fact, it smells amazing and that's what bothers me.
.
I turn my attention forward, looking straight ahead at Ms. Smith, ignoring Larkin's penetrating gaze that won't leave me. Ms. Smith is passing out packets of paper and addressing the class at the same time. "I'm handing out this semester's syllabus for the literature we will be reading in class. In addition, there will be a partnered project due at the end of the first semester."

I groan, "Damn it."

All the eyes in the room turn to me and I curse inwardly at myself. Ms. Smith stands before my desk, setting a syllabus on the surface in front of me. "Yes, Ms. Lawrence? Is there something wrong?"

I just know that Larkin is smirking at me, but I ignore him, clearing my throat. "No... I... Well, yes, I prefer to work by myself. I do better in general by myself."

Ms. Smith smiles charmingly at me. "Yes, well, we don't always get what we want, now do we?"

I resist the urge to roll my eyes. "Yes, Ms. Smith."

Ms. Smith turns to the board and begins writing down the titles of the books on our list. Next to me, I feel Larkin lean toward me, his breath warm on my cheek.

"Don't you like working with others, Gem?"

I stare straight ahead, my jaw clenching tightly. "I prefer to be by myself. Others are simply distractions."

I'm sure there's a smirk on his face. I can sense it in his voice, his words. "But, Gem, you worked so well with me at the wedding."

I stiffen at his words, realizing what he's implying. He wants double meaning? I'll give him double meaning. "Oh, but Larkin, I've learned since then. It's best to work by yourself in High School. Save partnership for college or the workplace. Otherwise, it only leads to disappointment."

"Ms. Lawrence and Mr. Knight!" I look to see Ms. Smith glaring at us, but Larkin still only stares at me still, a smile on his face.

"Yes?" I say timidly.

"If you find each other so interesting, I'll pair you for the project. Maybe, Mr. Knight can change your opinion on partnering.

Oh...frick.

~~~
A/N:

pic on side of Luke Hemmings as Larkin Knight...