I'm Not A Self-Pitying Type

I don't tell Olive and Macey that I'm going to the party until the morning of. I tell them right after checking in at the office, when we stand by our lockers before first period. Their reaction to the news is rather embarrassing.

Macey immediately starts jumping up and down, squealing and Olive does a little dance. The other people in the hallway stop and stare and I cover my face which has become red. "Guys!" I pull them down a shorter hallway that leads to storage rooms.

"Guys!" I repeat. "Calm down. For reals, I've been to parties before."

Olive rolls her eyes. "Gemma, you've only been to like six."

I look away, not wanting to admit that it's even less than that. "Yeah, so what?"

"Sooo," Macey drawls out, "let us get a little excited, that's all."

I give them a pointed look. "Excitement is one thing, yelling and dancing in the hallway is totally other. Promise you'll be calm and let me not get an ulcer from your reactions?"

Olive rolls her eyes again. "Yeah, yeah, but we're going together right? I mean, we can come over before..."

I nod. "Yeah, that's fine..." I suddenly realize why she wants to come over. "Under no circumstances - none at all - are you picking out my clothes."

Olive and Macey exchange evil grins. "It's the clothes or hair and makeup - you're choice, Gemma babe."

I sigh, walking back towards our lockers with them following me. "Fine, makeup, but nothing too horrendous please. I want them to be able to identify me should I end up dead in a mass killing."

Macey lifts an eyebrow, crossing her arms. "Seriously, Gem? Goodness, your implications are cutting."

Olive shakes it away, brushing her hands through the air. "Guys, who cares? We're going to a party."

***

Friday afternoon rolls around and I change into pjs as soon as I get home from school. Clive eyes me as I make my way for the kitchen and follows me, close on my heels.

"Uh, Gem? You know there's a party, yeah?" He leans against the kitchen counter as I begin grabbing snacks, filling my arms.

"Uhh," I'm distracted by the huge bag of peanut m&m's I just spotted, "Oh, yeah, Clive. I know. But it doesn't start until, what, eight?"

Clive shrugs. "Don't you need to do... makeup, hair, get dressed?"

I roll my eyes. "It won't take me five hours to do that, Clive. Give me a break. I'm gonna veg out and watch some TV first. Care to join me?"

Clive smiles, his eyes all sparkly. "Sure, just not 'Sherlock'."

I roll my eyes. "Fine, but we aren't watching 'Breaking Bad' either."

"Fair enough."

I toss him the bag of peach rings and bag of mini snicker bars. "Let's do this."

***

Two and a half hours later after a successful veg session of watching 'Say Yes To The Dress' and some 'New Girl' I retreat to my bathroom and shower. When I get out I don't bother with my hair or face, knowing that whatever I do will be taken away since Olive and Macey will be commandeering my face once they get here.

I move to my closet and start selecting the items I want to wear. Sort-of-high waist, black skinny jeans. My short waist tank top that's light blue, nearly white and has little designs embroidered around the hem. My cheetah print ankle boots. A silver flower ring. And last but not least my tan fedora-ish hat. I MUST wear the hat and I know O and Mace will try to get me not to, but oh well, I am.

I sit on my bed, scrolling through Instagram while waiting for Olive and Macey to arrive. Not even a moment later though, they're pushing through the door to my room, squealing yet again. I shoot them a death glare and they stop, but keep smiling like idiots.

Olive eyes my outfit, her smile faltering. "You aren't gonna wear a dress, Gemma?"

I scoff. "Uh, hell, no."

Macey pouts her lip. "Pretty please, you'll look so cute."

"Guys, it's a high school party... where I'll probably get gross stuff on me and... I'm not going to ruin a dress. Not to mention, I like this outfit. I even thought it out." I pout my lips back at them.

Olive sighs. "Fine."

I take in what they're wearing. Olive has on a white dress that has threads of metallic gold running through it. Her blonde hair is braided into a crown and she's wearing gold gladiator sandals. On her tanned arms are lots of gold and white bangle bracelets. She looks hot and kind of like a goddess.

Macey has on a spaghetti strapped dress that's black and has a tight bodice and a short, flows skirt that puffs out some. Her makeup is dramatic - red lips, dark eyes - and her hair is straightened. She wears red high heels that I'm pretty sure could kill. Quite literally.

Both of them look drop-dead gorgeous and yet, I don't feel out of place next to them in my laid-back look. I feel like I'm me and they're them.

Macey motions for me to move to my desk chair which is in front of the vanity in my room. I position myself in the chair and they get to work on my hair and makeup. I kind of zone out while they do it, only listening to the occasional tilt-your-head-this-way or open-your-eyes.

When they're done Macey and Olive tell me to open my eyes. I do and I find myself looking at a different 'me' in the mirror. I have loose curls that look nearly effortless and my eyes are rimmed with dark, but not overbearing makeup. If I didn't know better I'd say it made me look hot, but I know I'm nothing special. I'm not ugly - don't get me wrong, I'm not a self-pitying type. I'm just not... hot either. I'm rather average.

"Wow. Thanks for working a miracle, guys." I grin at them.

Olive and Macey beam. "You look hot, Gem." Macey says nudging me.

"Now for my hat." I say excitedly, reaching for the hat on my bed.

Olive inhales sharply. "What? No! You are not wearing a hat on that perfectly curled hair."

I scoff again. "Yes, I am. You guys gave me free reign on clothes AND accessories. Last time I checked, hats are accessories."

They both narrow their eyes, but eventually resign. "Fine," Olive says, "at least you're going to a party with us finally."

A light knock comes to my door followed by Clive pushing in. "Hey, you guys..." He trails off, looking at me.

"What? Is there something on my face?" I ask, glancing in the mirror, but I don't see anything wrong.

Clive shakes his head, his mouth gaped slightly. "No, no, nothing wrong. I, uh, you just look really good, Gemma."

I blush, so unused to such blatant compliments from Clive - at least, concerning my looks. "Uh, thanks, Clive."

We all stand there, them looking at me and me feeling extremely uncomfortable. "Uh, guys, can we stop looking at me?"

Clive shakes his head. "Yeah, uh, sorry. Hey, are we all driving over in the jeep or are you guys driving over in Macey's car or what?"

"I'll ride with you." I say to Clive.

"I'm gonna ride with Macey so that we don't have to come back here after the party, if that's okay." Olive says.

"Oh, yeah that's fine." I start out of the room, grabbing my phone and stuffing a couple twenties in my pocket, just in case. I don't think I need my wallet and Clive'll have his.

So... this is it, we're going to a party.

~~~
A/N: There's a pic on the side of what Gemma wears to the party.

I love you for even reading this.

-- Love always, Samantha <3