[7] Unwanted spotlight

The next morning I woke up on the couch from a nightmare, frustrated. After the little fun, I had yesterday and everyone left, I was alone with my thoughts again and I barely slept. I walked upstairs and into my bathroom and changed into my outfit for the day.

Pink shorts, white belt, blue-green collard shirt with a pink and blue sweater. I got downstairs as Ricky finished his breakfast. "Not gonna eat?" He asked. I shook my head and smiled. "Fine, but you have to eat during lunch, even if it's forced"

I laughed at him and got my keys. "Let's go, they're gonna do a memorial for Chrissy and I don't wanna be late." Ricky nodded his head.

We got to the school and sat down on the bleachers with the other students. Ricky went off to the area where his friends were and I sat down with the basketball team and cheerleaders. The gym was pretty quiet considering how many people were in there. After around 5 minutes the principal started the memorial. There was a big sheet of paper hanging from the ceiling with projectors showing pictures of Chrissy.

"As most of you may know, Chrissy Cunningham went missing after the Basketball championship. She was missing for 22 hours when the police, unfortunately, found her, she was deceased. This is the only information we have officially received on the circumstances surrounding the event"

I can feel people's eyes in the back of my head. Thanks to the news, everyone found out that I was the one who helped the police find her. I wanted to go hide, to go home. I hated the feeling of everyone watching me.

"Chrissy was a cheerleader, a friend, girlfriend, daughter, and a sister. We send our condolences to her family and friends. Crisis stations will be located throughout the school today for students who wish to talk to a counselor. Information about the funeral will be provided when it is available, and students may attend with parental permission. Please join me in a moment of silence as we show memories of her."

The projector then showed photos of Chrissy. The gym was dead silent. You could have heard a pin drop. After the slide show was done the principal sent us back to class.

I hopped off the bleachers and made my way to 2nd period since the assembly took the entirety of 1st period. I left the gym and was about to head inside the classroom when the Counselor asked to see me in her office. I followed her in and sat down.

"Hey Y/N... how have you been?" She asked

"Okay, I guess"

"Have you talked to anyone about the situation? A therapist, family member, friends?"

"Uh- not really..."

"How is your brother?"

"He's been good. He's worried about me but he knows that it would take time for me to be... normal, I guess."

"And your sister?"

"She's been at her boyfriend's dorm a lot but... she still checks up on us."

"How are you sleeping?"

"Not well. I constantly wake up at night and it takes an hour or two to get back to sleep."

"Yea, that's common. Any headaches? That usually comes with lack of sleep."

"Uh- yea, they come and go but they're not too bad"

"Nightmares?"

I nodded my head.

"Are you eating?"

I took a moment to think. "Uh, yea... I mean I wake up late but I do- I do eat."

"Any thoughts of... su*cide?"

"No"

"Any thoughts of hurting yourself?"

"No..."

She looked at me with concern and sighed. "What you went through, and what you're going through, it's a lot... for anyone. And it's okay to not be okay"

I nodded my head.

"I want you to come to my office any time you need to" she rummaged through her desk and gave me a slip. "This is a counselor's pass, whenever you have the need to see me, show this to your teachers and they'll let you go straight to my office."

I nodded my head and she dismissed me. There were now only 15 minutes left so I waited in the middle of the hallway for class to be dismissed. I walked passed a classroom and the door swung open almost hitting me.

I jumped out of the way before the door could hit me. "Oh, sh*t sorry" Eddie laughed. "It's fine" I smiled. "Where you headed?" I asked

"I was just gonna walk around until class ended. What are you doing?"

"Just left the councilors. I really don't want to be here though. Everyone kept staring at me from behind at the assembly, don't really want to get stared at again during lunch."

"Then you should skip"

"Skip? Where would I go"

"You can... leave school. Go watch a movie or something."

"Maybe... but what about Ricky? I can't just leave all of a sudden. He'll be worried"

"Bring him! Your 18, if you are one of his emergency contacts then you can just pull him out of school with you."

"Maybe... I mean I do have this 'get out of jail free card' from the nurse. I can skip any class I want."

"Lucky, I would do anything to get out of class when I want."

"Yea... thanks by the way"

"For?" Eddie asked

"Cheering me up yesterday. I know we barely started talking again but I really appreciate it" I smiled

"Of course. Anytime" he winked. I laughed and we kept talking while just walking around the school. After the bell ran we headed to class. Lunch wasn't fun. When I grabbed my lunch everyone was staring at me. Watching me walk to my table.

Some people gave me worried looks, while others gossiped. I sat down next to Jason. The table was quieter than usual. I rested my head in my arms and listened to everyone talk. Jason's ass just fidgeting around with the zipper of his jacket.

"Jason, you alright man?" Asked Lucas

"I saw Chrissy man... some f*cked up sh*t" Jason cried.

"What are you talking about?" I asked

"Last night, while they were still investigating the scene... I managed to get a glimpse of her"

"Jason! That was extremely dangerous" I exclaimed

"Someone did something to her... it wasn't f*cking normal!" Jason yelled.

"Sinclair. Help me bring Jason to the counselor" I said getting up.

"No, no! I'm not going anywhere!" Jason yelled. "Jason, please. Don't make a scene in front of everyone" I pleaded.

I grabbed Jason to get him up but he snatched his arm away. Jason kept making a scene so a few other basketball players helped me bring him to the counselors.