twenty-two

"My lovely friend!" Camilla squeals the moment I step foot into the break room.

We both squeeze each other until our manager signals, my 30 minutes of lunch break. 

"How are you? Do you need anything? Is your body feeling, okay? Did you drink plenty of water? I missed you so much"

"Calm down Cam. I'm perfectly fine, see?" I twirl like a ballerina and poke her dimples

"Every storm has a light at the end of the tunnel, right?"

She smiles and shakes away a tear.

"I'm happy to see you doing fine just remember don't overwork, okay?" 

I nod and Camilla signals her timer is up pausing for a moment.

"You're working downstairs, right? 1st floor? No wonder I didn't see you." 

"I was told you'd be working but wasn't sure what hall. Came in late. You know 3rd floor. We'll catch up later!"

I wave goodbye and sigh. My soggy sandwich stares back at me in dismay. Mornings go slow but afternoon tourists come and go like a hurricane.

It has been quite some time, since I last worked which was probably 2 to 3 weeks ago, maybe. So I feel relieved to come back. For a moment, panic sweeps over me knowing the bakery is alone, but Damian pops into mind. 

"Don't worry, I'll be here." 

Unknowingly I smile at the thought, but quickly fade it away. Yuck. 

As soon as my timer rings, I hit the floor and get to work. I freeze momentarily when I see an insane amount of people. It's not like my first-time seeing humans or first time talking in front of  public, but never have I seen such so many people crowding here and there. I balk as I see there's still more coming in. It's not the time to think of that.

I shake my head and try to compose myself. 

I try again and open my lips to speak, but nothing comes out. Jumbled words of nothing come to mind, fear is oozing around me but this time into a dark red color, swirling around my mind like an old core memory. I gasp for air as pins and needles pang at my chest , body sways and I cling tightly to a nearby corner, the floor shifting from one side to another.

A nearby security guard, which sounds like Mr. Park, lightly taps my shoulder asking if I'm fine. 

"Are you all right?" He asks again

"I'm fine-"

"Code 180 evacuate now." His radio voices over and soon after the guard rushes out to the lobby.

Code 180?  This can't be real.

I clench my teeth shaking the pressure away and the vertigo, firmly making way, shouting loud and clear. 

"There has been a dangerous individual approaching the museum, everyone to the Emergency Exit now!"

I move to the side, as me and other coworkers guide the rushing stampede of screaming people to the exit.

"Go go!" 

I turn to the guard next to me and just as I was about to ask him where the shooter was, dark red auras flash around inside my head again, along with it a jabbing migraine that sends me to the floor.

"Gahh.!" I close my eyes and try to shake the pain away.

"Giselle stay here until we are clear." Mr. Parks voice comes back and guides me to a nearby corner until I hear a door shut. I open my eyes to total darkness.