Chapter One

November 6th, 1983

November 6th, 1983

Thunder clapped loudly outside of her window; Kat was sitting in her room attempting to study algebra but instead, she found herself humming song after song, tapping her pencil to the beat. The latest song she was humming was 'A Forest' by The Cure. The school subject could not keep her attention. Her eyes kept flickering at the clock, wondering how late her younger brother would be staying out knowing it was a school night. Her mom had long gone to bed, leaving just the teenager to worry about her younger sibling, not that she was actively worried. Normally she would have tagged along with Dustin and the party but she promised her mom that she would study for once. Kat wasn't failing but she also wasn't passing, staying in the middle in all her subjects but only finding math the hardest.

She was snapped out of her thoughts when she heard the sound of the front door opening, grinning to herself, she thought she would give her brother a little scare. Getting up from her bed she made her way out of her room to stand in the hallway, watching Dustin quietly enter the house.

"Who did we battle tonight?" Kat said from the shadow of her doorway, scaring Dustin.

Dustin silently squeaked and placed a hand over his chest; he waited until his heart rate lowered before speaking. "Don't do that! And for your information, it was a demogorgon. -- I owe Will my X-men comic."

Kat shook her head "Lost again?" Knowing the two boys loved to race to the intersection from Lucas's house to Dustin's. She moved closer to her brother and ruffled his hair. "Get some sleep, we got an early morning." Watched as her brother went off towards his room before she locked the house and headed off to bed herself, giving up studying for the rest of the night.

The Next Morning

"DUSTIN! HURRY UP! We are going to be late!" Kat hollered from the kitchen, ignoring the look her mother was giving her who was sipping her morning coffee. Kat's foot tapping on the floor as she impatiently waited for her brother to finish getting ready, not sure what the hold was this time, but knowing him it could be anything and she had learned her lesson a long time ago to never ask questions.

Dustin came out of his room fixing his hat. "Okay, okay; calm down."

Katt tossed him a strawberry pop tart. "I can't be late...again; one more tardy and I'll have detention. And if I get detention, it's on you."

The pair said their goodbyes to their mother before making their way out of the house and grabbing their bikes from around the side. Every day they take their bikes to school as it's easier for their mom, plus no one wants to be dropped off by their mother. As the pair rode their bikes through the neighborhood they were soon joined by Mike and Lucas; Kat issued a greeting as the two boys joined. Once they reached Hawkin High School, Kat bid the boys goodbye before they made their way to the middle school around back.