Chapter Six

Kat had stopped for a moment to catch her breath when Nancy grabbed her hand as they took off running again, chasing the sound of Jonathan's voice

Kat had stopped for a moment to catch her breath when Nancy grabbed her hand as they took off running again, chasing the sound of Jonathan's voice. Finding a tree further away, they hid behind, both trying to control their breathing. Nancy tapped Kat and pointed to the opening they had originally gone through. Kat looked around the tree only to see the creature walk past. Jonathan's voice can still be heard in the distance. The creature started growling again, making it sound closer.

"Just follow my voice!" Jonathan's voice echoed.

Kat made a split and stupid decision, giving Nancy's hand a gentle squeeze to get her attention. "Go, I'll be behind you. I need to distract it for a second so we both can get away." She whispered. Nancy squeezed Kat's hand in return before taking off towards the opening.

Knowing the creature would be turning back around, Kat reached down and grabbed a rock from the ground, throwing it off in the distance, listening as the creature growled and took off after the sound. Watching as Nancy disappeared through the tree, Kat quickly followed after her. Hearing Jonathan and Nancy reunite on the other side. Just as Kat got to the opening and started crawling through, seeing Jonathan and Nancy, she felt something grab ahold of her left ankle and drag her back to the upside-down. Screaming out, the two other teens grabbed ahold of her arms, trying to pull her back.

Pain shot through her leg, as she felt tons of sharp edges break the skin of her leg through her jeans. "Don't let go!" She cried out. Jonathan and Nancy pulled back as hard as they could but the creature had her lower leg. Both sides pulling her in a tug of war. Using her other leg, she attempted to kick it, and after a few attempts, it somehow worked. The creature stunned for a moment creating enough time for the two teens to pull her back through successfully. Just as she made it through, the portal closed up. The last thing they heard was the menacing sound of the creature.

Kat laid on the ground; crying and breathing hard from the shock, pain, and joy that she made it through. Nancy immediately laid on top of her in a half hug as Jonathan joined in too. "We got you." Either Jonathan or Nancy kept muttering in reassurance. With arms wrapped around her, Kat tried to flex her leg but the moment she did, hot pain shot through her leg. "FUCK!" She gasped out.

The two other teens slowly let go of her, the three of them looking down at the injury. Besides being covered in a slime-like goo and a decent amount of blood, from her knee down to her ankle three distinctive claw marks were wrapped around the left leg. Towards her ankle, you could distinctly see a lot of crescent shape cuts. Her jeans stained tattered and stained with blood and littered with holes, nothing would be able to save them.

"Oh my god, Kat!" Nancy gasped out; Jonathan took off his jacket to take off his flannel to use to wrap Kat's leg. "We need to take you to a hospital," Nancy said as they watched Jonathan tighten the flannel around making Kat groan.

Grunting as Jonathan tightened the flannel knot around her leg. "And how would we explain it? Hmm...we just need to stop the bleeding before we worry about the rest. Luckily Jonathan did that."