Chapter Twenty-Eight

Kat sat behind the video counter as Robin excitedly told her and Steve about her encounter with Vicki the night before as she and Steve were putting away videos

Kat sat behind the video counter as Robin excitedly told her and Steve about her encounter with Vicki the night before as she and Steve were putting away videos. Normally Kat wouldn't be allowed behind the counter because Keith never allowed it, but she ignored his rule since he wasn't in. "Then Vicki laughed. And it wasn't like a cheap, fake laugh either. It was like... it was a real, genuine laugh."

Steve put a stack of videos on the shelf. "Of course. It's my Muppet joke. It's hilarious."

Robin ignored him. "My point is that Vicki laughed and everything was just like... it was perfect." She sighed as she leaned against a video display.

"But?" Kat pitched in knowing there would be a but.

"But I'm having this problem where it's like, I should stop talking. I have said everything I need to say. But then I guess I get nervous, and the words keep spilling out, and it's like my... my brain is moving faster than my mouth, or... or rather my... my mouth is moving faster than my brain. I'm digging this hole for myself, and I want to stop digging, I'm trying to stop, but I can't. And I'm doing it right now, aren't I?" Robin said very fast.

Kat and Steve looked at each other before Steve spoke up as they both were nodding their heads in agreement. "Yeah, you are."

Robin exhaled. "Oh, I'm hopeless." She said as she leaned against the display wall.

Steve shrugged his shoulders. "Eh."

Robin snapped her attention to him. "You can say anything. You have the girl of your dreams. -- I've found mine, but I can't get the courage to ask her out."

"Robin, remember how long it took him to ask me out, like how many people it took to tell the both of us. You'll get there, we just need to boost your confidence a little." Kat spoke up.

Robin smiled warmly at Kat. "This is why I like you more." She said before she locked eyes on the movie. "Ooh, I think I found our morning movie. Doctor Zhivago." She ran over to the display and grabbed it, holding it to her chest.

Steve groaned. "Ugh, you know I don't do double VHS."

"But it's about doomed love." Robin gave him a face. "Also, Julie Christie is b-b-bonkers hot in this. Like, seriously, the most beautiful creature I have seen in my life." She tried to reason with him.

Something on the TV caught Kat's attention. "Hey, guys...." Grabbing the remote she turned the volume up.

"We're in the Forest Hills trailer park in east Roane County. We don't have a lot of details now, but we can confirm that the body of a Hawkins High student was discovered early this morning. Police have not released the name..."

"Holy shit." Steve and Robin muttered at the same time.

"...although we are told they're currently in the process of notifying the family."