Chapter Thirty-One

Both sets of groups managed to meet back up in the Wheeler's basement without any further incidents

Both sets of groups managed to meet back up in the Wheeler's basement without any further incidents. Steve, Max, Lucas, and Dustin beat the girls back to the house. The eldest of the group paced as he waited for the girl's arrival. Once the girls arrived and changed out of their frilly clothing, they joined the others in the basement to find out exactly what happened and share what they learned from Victor Creel.

Hearing Max recalling the events that she experienced with Vecna, put Kat and the others all on edge. As soon as Max finished telling them what happened she immediately put her headphones back on and Kate Bush was heard coming from her headphones. She moved to sit in the back of the basement and grabbed a few sheets of paper.

"So, what did you find out about Creel?" Dustin asked looking at Nancy and Robin.

"After we told him what happened to Max at the school; he told us about what happened to his family. Everything started when they moved into the house. How his son was a sensitive child and that he could see his son had felt something was wrong in the house. -- They had one month of peace in the house before it all began. Dead animals, mutilated, and tortured, began to appear near their home. The police blamed it on a wildcat, but Victor knew it wasn't and that it was evil. Then his family started to experience things." Nancy started to tell them.

"Nightmares... he described them as waking living nightmares," Robin added.

Nancy continued. "He goes on about how this demon was torturing them. He... told us about the last dinner. He was in one of the waking nightmares, the demon had just killed his wife. He described her death to how Chrissy died. While in this nightmare he heard a voice. 'Stars shining bright above you' the song got him out of it, but when he came to his daughter was dead and his son slipped into a coma and then died a week later. --- He took his eyes, stabbing them with razor blades as he wanted to join his family. But obviously, that didn't work."

The group was silent for a moment. "Our theory was right, Vecna has been around for a long time." Lucas voiced up.

"We need to figure out how to save Max and clear Eddie's name. He will not be blamed for Upside Down stuff." Kat stated as the group nodded their heads in agreement. Since it was getting late the group decided that they needed some sleep, and again none of them wanted to be separated so it was decided that they would be crashing in the Wheeler basement.

While everyone had gone to sleep, Kat took the first shift in keeping a watch on Max and since Kat was awake Steve was awake as well. Kat picked up how stressed and quiet Steve had been since they all met back up with each other. Reaching over, she grabbed his hand as she walked them toward the basement stairs. "So stupid question, how are you holding up?'

"Nothing you ever say is stupid. You're the second smartest person I know." Steve started off, pausing for a moment. "It was terrifying. Worse than the demogorgon, worse than facing off the Russians, worse than not knowing what was happening to you last year. --- I thought we were going to lose her for a moment, the way she just lifted into the air. Even knowing what was happening, I understand how scared Eddie was."