Chapter Thirty-Three

The police had taken Kat, Max, Lucas, and Dustin back to the Wheeler house where all the parents waited except for Max's mom

The police had taken Kat, Max, Lucas, and Dustin back to the Wheeler house where all the parents waited except for Max's mom. The group sat on the sofa in front of Sheriff Powell and Officer Callahan who stood in front of them. Their parents crowded around the doorframe. Max sat between the boys and Kat sat beside her brother. Since Kat was an adult, the police didn't need permission to question her without her mother, but since Powell knew them, he did it as a courtesy.

"What exactly where you all doing at the lake?" Powell asked the group.

They all made an unspoken agreement to lie about everything, as it was something they did not need to verbally say. They knew that no one would believe a word that any of them would say.

"Uh - It's comp-" Lucas spoke up before Dustin cut him off. "We were... we were just going for a walk."

Callahan looked at them with confusion. "A walk? At 9:00 p.m.? To the lake."

"We were gonna take a little swim." Max confirmed while Kat added on, "They wanted to take a little night swim, I was there to supervise. You know, safety first. After all, they are on Spring Break."

"Dusty. Kitty." Claudia Henderson muttered out to her children. "Someone was just murdered there."

"Yeah, we didn't realize that until we got there," Kat told them.

Dustin added on. "That's why we didn't swim."

Mrs. Wheeler spoke up, "And Nancy, was she with you at this night swim?"

"No." "Yes." Lucas and Dustin both said at the same time, both boys looked at each other before Max cleared it up. "Uh, we're not sure. She was there. Then she left."

Kat wanted to clear it even more. "It's all a little confusing. That's when you guys came."

Max nodded her head in agreement. "Right. Then they dared me to say what I said. -- About the killer." She said as she pointed to the two boys beside her.

Callahan pointed his finger at Max. "You're lucky you didn't get shot!"

Powell pushed him back, giving him a look as he then turned and looked at Kat and Dustin. "Have you had any contact with Eddie Munson?"

Kat and Dustin scoffed loudly. "That psycho freak killer? God, no." Kat rolled her eyes in mock disgust.

"Nope. Absolutely not." Dustin copied Kat's tone.

"We haven't heard from him." "We barely know the guy." Dustin and Lucas both said after each other.

"Oh, that's a bunch of bull!" Erica called out from beside her parents as she gave the group on the sofa a look.

"Erica!" Her parents called out.

Erica wasn't done. "I mean, you realize they're lying. -- The whole couch is on fire."